Author Topic: Bookmarks functionality  (Read 7143 times)

wwwald

I'd love to see some extensions to the bookmarking functionality. Some ideas:
 * graphical indication of where bookmarks are in a certain track (just some "ticks" or marked regions on the "playing progress" bar would be perfect)
 * enable text annotation of bookmarks/bookmarked fragments
 * enable playlist-based export of bookmarked fragments

Context: since loooong, I've been looking for a tool to revise band rehearsal recordings / find the good parts, riffs, chord progressions / bookmark them as potential song material for later reference.
The text annotations would allow for commenting on the specific bookmarked fragments. The export functionality would allow me to get all those riff ideas, neatly cut up in a separate folder without all the audio surrounding it.

I think this would make Musicbee even more versatile as a tool for anyone in audio transcription / band jam revising / ... you name it.

What do you think?
wwwald

wwwald

One thing I forgot to mention:
 * make the bookmarks.dat file location customizable. That way, I could store & share it on Dropbox (for instance), and have other people collaborate on the same bookmarks file so we see each other's bookmarks immediately in Musicbee.

wwwald

Anti

I suggested in your other thread: Soundcloud (and optionally Audacity) seems to be perfect for your needs?

p-mob

Yes!
+1 for the bookmarking functionality
It will be very useful to continue listening IN a track.
I have very long audiobooks with only one track.
To find the position where i had stopped listening is very annoying.
MusicBee only saves the track that was played and nothing else, when creating a bookmark.
MusicBee ROCKS!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes!
+1 for the bookmarking functionality
It will be very useful to continue listening IN a track.
I have very long audiobooks with only one track.
To find the position where i had stopped listening is very annoying.
MusicBee only saves the track that was played and nothing else, when creating a bookmark.

You can accomplish what you want by going into the tag editor and turning on "remember playback position": http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging#Settings

No need for bookmarks at all.  Although MusicBee should only play from the first place you set the bookmark, if you go into the Bookmarks node.  Can you give us a screenshot of what happens when you create a bookmark? 
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

p-mob

What I need is:
I listen to an audiobook with very long tracks.
At a point in the track i set a bookmark.
After that there should be the option to play the rest of the same album from this point on.
That will be perfect.
MusicBee ROCKS!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
At a point in the track i set a bookmark.
After that there should be the option to play the rest of the same album from this point on.
That will be perfect.

That's exactly what Remember Playback Position will do for you, except you don't need to set it manually.  When you continue playing the last track you were on, it will start from the point you stopped at, and then continue as normal.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ma_t14

+1 YES to all of OP's suggestions

There is a bookmark functionality but it's pretty basic compared to what is asked and especially what potentially could be done. The ability to have annotations would make audiobook listening especially so much more powerful and convenient.

e.g. being able to make annotations for chapters or parts that you want to come back to and re-listen.

Here was a suggestion I made long ago (before bookmarking was even implemented):
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3767.msg20491#msg20491

p-mob

Do I have to set the "Remember Playback Posititon" option in all my Files?
Does it modify tags?
MusicBee ROCKS!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do I have to set the "Remember Playback Posititon" option in all my Files?
Does it modify tags?

Yes and no, respectively.  You can select all the files you want to apply Remember Playback Position to and change them together.  It's an internal setting for MusicBee, so shouldn't affect tags.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)