Author Topic: Easier addition of a field to main panel  (Read 14953 times)

redwing

When you want to add a field to main panel, that real basic task is currently not as easy to do as it should be.

That's because you have to carefully move mouse pointer to the little arrow (most of the time it's located at the very bottom of screen) and slowly click on it to locate the field you want. But more often than not you end up clicking on something else. For me that action always brings up hidden taskbar and opens up another program's window that was minimized on it.
I already requested mouse scroll wheel support for this (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8153.msg49124#msg49124), but any other alternative way would be welcome as long as it's more convenient than now.
Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:26:49 PM by redwing

redwing

How about something like this?

When you hover mouse over the arrows, the sub-menu scrolls up and down.

Gary Young

I often do that task in Outlook when adding a field to be displayed as a column. There's a popup-window with all selectable fields listed and a scrollbar to the right. I find that works pretty well - classical. So a scrollbar could also be a solution here.

I can't check it right now: is it possible to type a letter and the list jumps to that letter?

However I agree that the current behaviour is suboptimal. At least personally I don't prefer this way of scrolling through lists.

redwing

is it possible to type a letter and the list jumps to that letter?

Yes, but only for those visible.

mikebo

Maybe a double list (two columns) would be easy to implement?

redwing

Maybe a double list (two columns) would be easy to implement?

That sounds better than my proposal because you can see all fields at a glance. Two or even three columns would be great.

SimonBRT

+1

this is a pretty minor nuisance, so definitely low priority.  that said, it has bugged me slightly plenty of times in the past so...

Gary Young

Multiple columns sounds like a good idea.

Yes, but only for those visible.
And jumping to a any field by typing a letter should then also work for the whole list I guess.

redwing

Gary Young

+1 for that! :)
I'd really like to see that in a future release...

VX

+1
it's definitely worth implementing as shown on the mockup in reply no. 8.

MeeMeeMee

+1
... or simply add support for using the scroll wheel. And set scrolling speed to 2-3 entries per scroll-wheel notch. That works extremely well for long lists (try that with Listary).
MusicBee 3.5.8516 / Windows 10 (64-bit) / Intel i5-3470 / 8GB RAM
Media on NAS (CIFS share)
20K+ tracks, predominantly FLAC ; converted to mp3 (lame -V 0) when synced to a Cowon D2+
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Get the latest patch: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/

redwing

+1
... or simply add support for using the scroll wheel. And set scrolling speed to 2-3 entries per scroll-wheel notch. That works extremely well for long lists (try that with Listary).

I now think multi-column menu would be superior than scroll wheel because (1) that's quicker and (2) shows the full list of fields at once which is missing from the current version of MB. Sometimes we want to think over while looking at all available fields.