Author Topic: New Compact Player Layout  (Read 396881 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
(Copied from redwing's TM thread.)

I don't know if this is a general Theater Mode problem or specific to smaller ones, but it's *really* hard to get line-by-line lyrics scrolling.  When I try to scroll the lyrics using the arrows, I can only get the top or bottom.  Using the mouse wheel isn't much better.  I can only get line-by-line control if I grab the scroll button and drag *very* carefully.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
@scampbll, i have now set a minimum height for the scroll button

these are the things i am planning to do with this panel:
- allow the right panel (lyrics/now playing) to auto-hide (enabled by a setting)
- when the wavebar is enabled, it will display in place of the seek bar down the bottom - at the moment the wavebar is displayed under the artist picture but i think it looks a bit "plonked on" there
- add a right click/ Sort By menu to the now playing list (in this layout only). The # field has already been added for the next update
- add a few settings for skin developers to control the compact player sizing and components that are displayed
Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:12:02 PM by Steven

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
- allow the right panel (lyrics/now playing) to auto-hide (enabled by a setting)

keenly anticipating this one  8)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Alexis

Looking forward to those changes Steven.

I like seeing your proposed changes, because I am hoping that this does not necessarily have the same 'feel' or be a mini Theatermode  (Thereby TM could remain a somewhat unique component),  but that this would be pretty much a reorganization of the current Compact player including a more outstanding art.  So looking forward to the plans you just laid out.

One of the reasons I proposed what I did earlier, was because of the suggestion on another thread, about having the player's color adapt to the album cover of each artist. (I am sure not all of us would agree with that.. but fwiw)  Not sure how doable it is, but thought if it was to be done.. the best bet would be with compact player.

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8060.0
To be specific.. captured these from the thread owner, IASC:

So, I am bringing up that post again for possible reference as you plan forward.
Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:36:47 PM by Alexis
They are not lazy... just more efficient.

redwing

Probably it would be better to use a separate folder for compact player TM views since the view selection box is already crowded with existing embedded TM views, most of which don't fit compact mode, and we'll soon have tons of new views for compact mode only. Besides, TM developers wouldn't have to name new views "Compact something" to differentiate from other embedded views.

And I think now it's time to consider separating the current TM forum board to three: full TM, embedded TM, compact TM views. As anyone can see, the subject of threads have been cluttered with (embedded ...), and it won't help users to browse different types of views and install them properly on the same board. It's really great to see ever-ongoing evolution of TM!

VX

Probably it would be better to use a separate folder for compact player TM views since the view selection box is already crowded with existing embedded TM views, most of which don't fit compact mode, and we'll soon have tons of new views for compact mode only. Besides, TM developers wouldn't have to name new views "Compact something" to differentiate from other embedded views.

And I think now it's time to consider separating the current TM forum board to three: full TM, embedded TM, compact TM views. As anyone can see, the subject of threads have been cluttered with (embedded ...), and it won't help users to browse different types of views and install them properly on the same board. It's really great to see ever-ongoing evolution of TM!

+1, but I'd add these suggestions to the wishlist as a separate thread.
I'm afraid it won't be noticed in this thread because of new comments about the new Compact Player mode.

Steven

• Administrator
i'll make this available but its barely been tested and suggest you keep a copy of the current musicbee.exe in case there is something you dont like
- the artist picture should fill up the available area more often now (i still need to refine the cases its doesnt)
- the track information section under the artist picture now uses the dominant colour for the bottom area of the artist picture (but i still need to refine the algorithm for this as its not consistent yet and might change it too look at the whole artist picture)
- the now playing list can now be configured to auto-hide

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_1/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

Alexis

Liking the progress Steven.  Thank you.

SimonBRT

really liking this progress.  the dominant colour picking is an excellent addition, really improves the look.  look forward to even more refinement...

Alexis

for the sake of matching and consistency...  what are the chances of having the color change be applied to  the entire skin, as opposed to just the area beneath the artist photo. 

If not, then maybe have a much narrower play bar and top border?

Hmm, or maybe extend it to only the top bar, and narrow the play-bar on the bottom?

This is what it looks like now..  i am assuming what I am proposing may be obvious from this.

Alexis

The third suggestion is something like this.. hoping we can do something different with the progressbar.  The second image is with the progressbar for comparison.  With it as thin as the first, then really only the top area would need to be filled out to match the artist background.

The playlist would take the skin of the Play bar, for the sake that  depending on what color is generated, the information in the  playlist may not be legible.  Additionally, it would provide some sort of unity with the playbar when it is in view.

Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:39:11 PM by Alexis

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would like it if the spectrum visualization could go all the way across, even if part of it is covered by the album art.  It looks very awkward to me, squished in between the album cover and the now playing/lyrics panel.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
By the way, if you try to switch from old compact player to new compact player while in compact player view, this happens:

MusicBee v2.1.4813.32893 (Win6.1), 7 Mar 2013 12:47:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=qiUeDJs04Tu1y7mGNMxMAnZxSnCrviCtt51jDMFwpTUU=.#=qPMDFwSITu2410m29CZQPAw==.#=q$9c_MuaCIVTEThGPiGv6bA==(#=qkM2zzNLNmJqy9G98qhD89V2zhcpMotT6V8dSkqoSMMhBLvl8zWgV4m70ckB0M9_f #=qjUGXXvxiZ$1xxlRyCGxnUg==)
   at #=qiUeDJs04Tu1y7mGNMxMAnZxSnCrviCtt51jDMFwpTUU=.#=qGErjP19m5F0pplx$vqnecSl4G5F_0FzMWOxoiITArRk=()
   at #=qiUeDJs04Tu1y7mGNMxMAnZxSnCrviCtt51jDMFwpTUU=.#=qsBSgkVeJgII$nifD$kt$7YPAfozv9dH0o_mtjyKJpFE=()
   at #=qiUeDJs04Tu1y7mGNMxMAnZxSnCrviCtt51jDMFwpTUU=.#=qJT_xItluJN_KIQN_tHiKHgktlfegvsNAbKVrI0oomX8=()
   at #=q09cFGLFqsAgP12IX5PwHzvmrnC8tFEr8pM71g8RKfPsp_dqtPLEa1$QRDw3qTySA..ctor(Point #=qvCIYYI_ToPNLAgs18uhi8gr_jMOyy5oQhOvlOVtgeHk=)
   at #=qbkCzRXLQZhCHLacxaZXpk1iEfammngMF4onUrxOJeqQ=.#=qDkG3SM7VGt7S2ErNFfZdX4IAzeNmSAf8BwiXuMnJFWw=()
   at #=qkn0XXiZzNGtAf8fkr2jfWL5mBvnVZxWvKQdJiXOKUaQ=.#=qtU4S4YsHClLQLS5hnqUbKuO8SVgQrmzhm3rRbZz3tzOToR8oYWnnL_jSTNdvnN28(Object #=qXrizwljiWEc3KwGmibXVqw==, EventArgs #=qRNs5namwHUJ3FbK9YPkfkg==)
   at #=qJk9T$p0BhpZw9OMzGJ7cfRaxq2$8u1RsxwldYIcYnQo8ccZw5DmCnUNwVnFzj_op.#=qKBN_bxwGhHS3EMa2FBRZhQ==()

...and after that, nothing seems to get the new compact player to work again.  Old is okay.
Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:53:17 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
for the sake of matching and consistency...  what are the chances of having the color change be applied to  the entire skin, as opposed to just the area beneath the artist photo. 
i wouldnt know how to do that

Alexis

Thank you Steven.. I suppose then possibly the third  suggestion demonstrated in the photos?

I think that sometimes expectations on my end tend to be unrealistic.   My apologies