Author Topic: How to split an .ape file?  (Read 11757 times)

WimYogya

One of my albums is an .ape file as I just found out.
Never worked with one before, so I don't know how to deal with it.

I noticed that I can import it into MB, but it is treated there as 'one  block' with 22 individual tracks which can NOT be edited individually.
It has all the titles correct, but some details should be changed.
And I like to split the block into separate tracks, to use them in my iPod later.

I already converted the .ape with Freemake converter into .mp3, but then it is still ONE block, which I need to split manually into 22 files.
And I loose all the (long) titles/details of this classical work.
Also came across Monkey Audio with similar result, just .wav instead of .mp3.

EDIT:
First I thought that a restart had solved the problem, it looked as if the whole block now were 22 properly named/tagged individual tracks.
I still cannot edit them one by one: if I select 1 track for editing, the whole block will be selected again.
Is there an easier way than converting the whole .ape (with Freemake into .mp3 or with Audio Monkey into .wav) and then sending everything to Audacity for manual splitting it up (and losing the track tags)?
Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:13:36 AM by WimYogya
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
If the 22 individual .ape tracks are showing in MB, then you just select them, click Tools>>Convert Format, and set up the preferences that you want in 'File Converter'.
Any tags that are available for conversion from .ape format to your selected format are done by MB.

NB. .ape is a lossless format so you should convert to another lossless format like .flac, .wav, etc not mp3
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

beeing good

Your file should have come with a .cue file. Download and install Medieval Cue Splitter (it's a free program) and open the cue file in this program. Then just click on Split and it will split the file in to the individual tracks.

beeing good

NB. .ape is a lossless format so you should convert to another lossless format like .flac, .wav, etc not mp3

There's no reason why you shouldn't convert them to mp3 if that is your target format and have a lossless file for whatever reason at the moment.

jistme

Your file should have come with a .cue file. Download and install Medieval Cue Splitter (it's a free program) and open the cue file in this program. Then just click on Split and it will split the file in to the individual tracks.

Sorry to mingle in, but Medieval Cue Splitter has an admitted bug, possibly resulting in some jitter.
(However you might need bat-ears to hear those)
CUETools could be a nice alternative.

beeing good

Oh right, I haven't heard anything about that and haven't noticed any problems. I did try CueTools once but didn't find it that easy to use but maybe I'll give another try now.

jistme

They are honest enough to mention it on their front page...

WimYogya

Wow!
Just back from a dinner appointment I find six (!) responses to my support request.
Isn't that great!? Think I never came across a better support forum than in MB.
Thanks all!

For the moment I have chosen @Bee-liever's simple right click colution: Tools > Convert.
I selected the option to send the new files to the inbox, so I could edit them more precisely before sending them to the library.
After that is done I feel safe enough to delete the 'block of .ape tracks' from the library.

@Others:
I can live with the loss that an .mp3 file implies. Use in my iPod is quite relevant for me.
And I will still save the original (unsplit) .ape file somewhere for whatever use later.
Thanks also for the suggestions related to the .cue file and external splitters.
Will keep those apps in mind.
Thanks all again!
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

peterjgrable

simply refer to the following APE Converter and step by step guide on how to split or convert .ape files to popular audio formats on Mac OS X (Mavericks included) or Windows (Windows 8 included) at http://www.idealshare.net/audio-converter/ape-to-mp3-converter.html

This guide helps to:

Convert APE to lossless audio format like convert APE to WAV, convert APE to FLAC, convert APE to Apple Lossless ALAC M4A.
    Convert APE to lossy audio format like convert APE to MP3, MP2, WMA, AAC, AC3, AIFF, AU, RA, DTS, OGG and etc.
    Convert and split a large whole APE audio with .cue into individual audio tracks in any popular format like MP3.

justfaced

You can use Avdshare Video Converter to Medieval CUE Splitter Mac and which can perfectly split FLAC, MP3, APE, WAV, WMA, TAK, ALAC, DTS, etc with a cue file into separate tracks .