Author Topic: Proposal: Extend 'Genre' hierarchy with 'Subgenre'  (Read 93676 times)

hiccup

Just noticed the massive addition of genres to the Configuration.xml file on version 3.4.7555 P.

I see the same amount as in 3.0, namely 466.
How many do you see?

zkhcohen

Just noticed the massive addition of genres to the Configuration.xml file on version 3.4.7555 P.

I see the same amount as in 3.0, namely 466.
How many do you see?

Are you sure you applied the latest update dated 9/7/2020?

hiccup

Are you sure you applied the latest update dated 9/7/2020?

You are right. I was on 7554, and 7555 indeed has this new list.
It's probably the list that I suggested for the new tag hierarchy feature.

I notice that some ancient genres that stem from the ID3v1/Winamp 1.0 era and are not in my list are now gone.
(such as the rather silly 'beautiful music' and 'negerpunk', which was some foolish joke by the Nullsoft developers in those days)

Do you think that could result in issues for other users?
Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:25:48 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
What's the purpose for this change? New tagging source?
Its the default genre category mappings. It shouldnt affect anything if you already set up your own mappings

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ok, I'm just finally getting around to testing this out. It's really cool, and in some places can replace auto-playlists I have.

I've skimmed through the thread but if this is in there I've missed it: do these classifications exist outside the hierarchy panel, similar to genre category? I've been messing with location rather than genre. I'm wondering if I have something tagged with, for example, Scotland, which is under United Kingdom, which is in turn under Europe, can I reference United Kingdom or Europe in a search or an auto-playlist and come up with that track?

A couple of maybe bugs I've noticed (or maybe something I'm missing):

I have a playlist consisting of all files from my library and inbox, which comes in at 23059 files, but "All" in the tag hierarchy panel is reported as 22947. This part seems to have sorted itself out. Playlist and tag explorer both report 22946. Maybe something got reset when I deleted that one track.

The filter to show files with tags missing from the hierarchy shows all 22946 files, which doesn't seem right. I have two tags I'm using right now: "location" and "playlist filters". Even if both fields are filled in with correct values, the (!) message will be "No tag hierarchy for:" and nothing after the colon.
Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:10:48 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

alec.tron

can I reference United Kingdom or Europe in a search or an auto-playlist and come up with that track?
Not afai know.
I scribbled down a neat-to-have idea elsewhere:
...what IF Auto Playlists themselves could have rules written against the TagHierarchy context/relations ?...

I still feel I would like to be able to do that, butI can't think of a neat way but a fair few problems instead (i.e should a playlist filter list all genre / location / whathaveyou context-parents as filter options...? probably NOT per default as this would become somewhat hard to grasp in a flat list... and secondly, the file reference and/or MB file DB probably have no concept of these hierachies, and querying/storing them as well could be a major headache, depending on the current information architecture...).
So, I'm probably leaving this as a loose idea, and not a feature wish as such...  :D

c.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I still feel I would like to be able to do that, butI can't think of a neat way but a fair few problems instead (i.e should a playlist filter list all genre / location / whathaveyou context-parents as filter options...? probably NOT per default as this would become somewhat hard to grasp in a flat list... and secondly, the file reference and/or MB file DB probably have no concept of these hierachies, and querying/storing them as well could be a major headache, depending on the current information architecture...).
So, I'm probably leaving this as a loose idea, and not a feature wish as such...  :D

I was coming up with the wildest ideas for this last night. Like, I'm sure it would be a headache programmatically, but what if you could create new tags on the fly?  Using my example, what if rather than an explicitly defined location tag, you could do something like this:

North America::location
-USA::location
--Illinois::location
---Chicago::location
----Chicago::artist
----Disturbed::artist
----Fall Out Boy::artist

And then you could search for "location is Chicago" and get all tracks tagged with the artists under Chicago, or search for Illinois and get everything under that, etc.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
This version integrates queries to the tag hierarchy. For enumerated fields (such as genre) a new query condition selection criteria "in tag hierarchy" is now available. When chosen, you need to enter the x-path for the list you are interested in eg.
Genre in tag hierarchy "Electronic" would include all genre names including and under Electronic or "Electronic/Big Beats" would include all genre names including and under Big Beats. You can use this in auto-playlists or anywhere a query is constructed.

By default, MB uses the active tag hierarchy file but you can force it to use a specific file by surrounding the filename with brackets eg. [Genres]Electronic would open file "Genres.txt" to get the hierarchy

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ooh. I can't wait to try this out!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Working great so far. When I first set it up, I had switched the field type and created the playlist all in one session, and I was getting an error every time I clicked on a track in the playlist. But once I restarted MusicBee it was happy.

Have you had a chance to look at why the "Files With Tags Missing" filter is getting false positives?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
When I first set it up, I had switched the field type and created the playlist all in one session, and I was getting an error every time I clicked on a track in the playlist.
is there anything in the error log or can you remember what the error said?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
is there anything in the error log or can you remember what the error said?

Yeah, it looks like this:

Code
9/14/20 8:14:04 PM - 10.0.19041.0 - 3.4.7562.13962D - System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type '#=z_A91$FiZEclRYxJvGS5u3ck=' to type '#=zZaJ31WzagDruHEdODe5T526T9BBg'.
   at #=zJxJmE4rnIADz3gC8LFa58f0=.#=zEWB03Fc_qPzk()
   at #=zJxJmE4rnIADz3gC8LFa58f0=.#=zDbxMg_Gl5Mpm()
   at #=zJxJmE4rnIADz3gC8LFa58f0=.#=zbeiBT64=(IList`1 #=zkiRhIwc=, Boolean #=zsmzUohI=)
   at #=ztmYjST5Cmkxj7ht8iNGdL1jGEeHV.#=zhWVau0TPYongI73jHw==.#=zlp4MMpgRyJDX(List`1 #=zzKjMf0_V5rgi)
   at #=ztmYjST5Cmkxj7ht8iNGdL1jGEeHV.#=ziS3WIwSUCsQn5sC3Ng==()
   at #=ztmYjST5Cmkxj7ht8iNGdL1jGEeHV.#=z_XACaWpT_Yxo(#=zuYYr1cszBI4C4QgH8j1$wh0= #=z2pRZsWI=, Boolean #=zz_bQbSLlZkQb)
   at #=ztmYjST5Cmkxj7ht8iNGdL1jGEeHV.#=z7mO9VlkjTHBd.#=zmiBOx4HHpkOy(#=zb7MTvyNtcszlBfIYo7xtQCoMzZJZ #=zgJEZKQY=)
   at #=zDWl16i$LgtpVLlAOo$6saeM=.#=zvBdTlIgvHYhi.#=zrQ7UzmVnUeyn(Int32 #=z6EXGxuQ=, Boolean #=zz_bQbSLlZkQb, Boolean #=zIMPRyKmN1nNn)
   at #=zDWl16i$LgtpVLlAOo$6saeM=.#=zvBdTlIgvHYhi.#=zS4XP3H7I7Lut5L_0jA==(Int32 #=z6EXGxuQ=, Keys #=ztwqeLak=)
   at #=zDWl16i$LgtpVLlAOo$6saeM=.#=zvBdTlIgvHYhi.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs #=zgJEZKQY=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=z9doUfp8$e6AU42VnjHjAyqY=.WndProc(Message& #=zEISNTJI=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
thanks, i can see why it would happen with the vertical tag editor active and changing the type for a field but not straight forward to fix. As you found, restarting MB fixes the issue

Have you had a chance to look at why the "Files With Tags Missing" filter is getting false positives?
you are referring to "Files With Tags Missing in the Hierarchy"?
i thought it had been resolved, so are you still finding instances it is not working?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
you are referring to "Files With Tags Missing in the Hierarchy"?
i thought it had been resolved, so are you still finding instances it is not working?

I'm on 3.4.7562, and it's just showing me all the files from the main panel. I am using more than one tag in the hierarchy, if it matters.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator