Author Topic: Different behaviour for locked tabs  (Read 4193 times)

shawn

[at present]
locking a tab prevents it from being closed

[proposed]
locking a tab
-prevents it from being closed
-prevents any changes in navigation within that tab

[example]
i have an open tab displaying "jazz playlist" and i decide to lock it.
henceforth, anytime that tab has focus and i click on some other node displayed in the navigation sidebar, doing so will display this second node in a new tab, thus ensuring "jazz playlist" always remains displayed in my locked tab.

Steven

• Administrator
for v2.0, in the same right click menu there is a separate option to disable the left navigator

shawn

Thank you for your reply.

I'd still like to be able to see and use the left navigator while focusing a locked tab. What I wish to propose is for the navigation event to automatically launch into a new tab. Navigation events may include any nodes clicked in the left sidebar, or any of the three "Find" commands within the Right-click—>Search... menu, as well as any other obvious ones I might be overlooking.

After giving this some more thought, I'm inclined to admit that the functionality I'm asking for is probably too niche. As such, I'd like to withdraw this request and replace it with another that would stand to benefit more users than my previous request, while still managing to address the issues that prompted me to make that request in the first place.

Ctrl-click an item in the sidebar to open it in a new tab.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A middle mouse button click in the left navigator does what you're asking for.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Welcome.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

HHM

+1
idea of different locked tab behavior isn't that niche:)
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=6612.msg39382#msg39382

as for the option of disabling left panel - not only it doesn't solve this issue but also is a bit useless. At least for me. With blocked left panel I cannot operate on my playlists by drag&dropping items to them (if the playlists I need to send a file to are not opened in a tab).

I think a  behavior of a locked tab (at least optional, but imho a default one) should be changed, so that if u click any other playlist/catalogue from the left pannel (while being in a locked tab) it would open that p/c in a new tab.

It would be more logical. Why logical?  In my opinion the aim of locking a tab is not to have f.e. 1 tab locked but with changing it's directories, BUT to have THAT PARTICULAR tab opened.
F.e. if I lock a tab with "Favourites" playlist, it is because I want to have that playlist in that tab close at hand always.

So I would suggest replacing the option "activate/hide/disable left pannel" with option "allow/disable changing directory in locked tab". While disabled, clicking on any other playlist/folder would open it in a new tab.