Author Topic: More eye candy for MusicBee.  (Read 4153 times)

Alexis

I remember Steven asking some time back what ideas we had for the future of musicbee. 

My big request now is more eye candy with regards to skinning.  This would be something along the lines of more complex skinning.

I would likely have a hard time skinning under such changes (Since I do not know the depths of what I am asking for), but I would surely try to learn.

I like dark skins and one of the problems I have is if I am on a dark background.. or even if I open a musicBee subwindow.. finding the top edge of the window can be a bit of a challenge.  One probable proposition is to be able to do some sort of identification line or whatever in the current skin:  (yeah, this may not look too good)

Another option is the complex skins that one could see in the likes of foobar and other players such as Jriver.:

Looking forward to whatever may arrive.

They are not lazy... just more efficient.

Iasc

+1. music bee has everything i want for functionality so the only improvements i can think of are visual.
Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:25:54 PM by iasc

Alexis

I was actually expecting some comments suggesting that things are fine as is...so I am thankful for the feedback.

I have to say that the recent lifehacker article further prompted this post.  The capabilities of musicbee imo is far beyond all others I have tried, so my only thought is that it has to do more with the eye-candy aspect  (but maybe I am just underexposed).

http://lifehacker.com/underhyped/
 "Does it beat out any of these players at their specialty features? No, but it has a little bit of everything, is super lightweight, and is sure to fit into anyone's workflow."

SimonBRT

have to admit i'm not so sure about the complex skins in your second point.  this has been discussed before (but unfortunately my hazy memory and search couldn't find where) to some extent.  such skins can drastically alter the UI and take away from consistency and usability of the program.  two things that make MB great.  if you want to configure the program's look and interface to such an extent, well, you can already do that with foobar.  for me its not really what MB is about. 

i certainly don't want to shout down your suggestion entirely here, MB could undoubtedly be even better looking than it is.  i am just not sure this is the way to go.  there are other options; the ever improving (embedded) theatre modes for one.  steven also discussed a while back a new look compact player (again, sorry i have searched and cannot find the thread) that was metro/zune inspired.  the mockup looked fantastic (can anyone find what i'm talking about?!).  these are just two possibilities. 

don't want to sound too negative here, just trying to put across a counter viewpoint.

Alexis

I definitely appreciate your input.     not see you as beating it down at all. The points you made are definitely valid.  I actually pondered if the theatre mode option is not a way of bringing some of such skinning. Either case man,I just do not know and just hopeful.

I also have difficulties finding topics you referenced.

redwing

@SimonBRT:

steven also discussed a while back a new look compact player (again, sorry i have searched and cannot find the thread) that was metro/zune inspired.  the mockup looked fantastic (can anyone find what i'm talking about?!).

Are you referring to this one?

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7343.0

Alexis

Bless you.   YES!  THAT is the one.

SimonBRT