Author Topic: More Detailed Keywords/Mood/Last.Fm Tag Integration  (Read 9353 times)

Kabraxis

Hi.
MusicBee's Keyword Tagging over Last.Fm support is really amazing. I'm long time searching for a Music Player that supports advanced auto-tagging, and MusicBee's feature and general quality seems to have a stop to my quest :)

But, i think Keyword tagging needs some advanced features, like Tag Filters, so we can tag songs in our custom fields (in Id3v2, of course =).
_
Let me show you an example:
Song: Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn) - Bob Dylan

Last.Fm tag results:
folk, singer-songwriter, rock, classic rock, Bob Dylan, folk rock, 70s, folk-rock, 60s, classic, oldies, great lyrics, Dylan, Birthday, beautiful, forever young, sad, Love, favourite songs of all time, Uplifting, positive, Ballad, Sentimental, male vocalists, favorites, hippie, folkrock, pop, acoustic, Mellow
(there's sh**load of useless tags in there, you see. i already know that's a folk song.)

What I Need:
Mood (Custom Field): Uplifting; Sentimental; Positive; Mellow

To achieve that, i might use a custom tag list, like
Mood: angry, bewildered, bouncy, calm, cheerful, chill, crazy, crushed, depressed, dramatic, drunk, eclectic (...)
or
Occasion: birthday, breakup, carnival, chillout, christmas, death, drinking, driving, hanging out, heartache, holiday (...)
or
Category: animal songs, autumn, b-side, ballad, banjo, bass, beautiful, bootlegs, brass, chamber music, clarinet, classic, classic tunes, compilations, covers (...)
_

And then, MusicBee will be an amazing Media Player for people who love to organize and tidy up their archives, like Radio DJ's ;)

Inb4, "use exclude tags"; that's only for "Genre" field.

Steven

• Administrator

Kabraxis

Steven

• Administrator
i was thinking of making the filters configurable but it would still be great if you did a list as i can make that the default

krpt

I do vote for it !
Great idea.

EDIT : Especially the idea of tagging on the fly with a global shortcut the mp3 playing
( Mood based ; Energic / Calm / etc.. )
Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:45:03 PM by krpt

Steven

• Administrator
this is done for the next update - i need to some more testing so probably tomorrow night
For now i have done Mood, Ocassion, Grouping and Genre
I'll also allow custom tags to be mapped at a later date

Jorgen

I love this feature, it will make it a lot easier to find the right music for the moment.
However there are 2 things I  would like to see before updating all my tracks.

1. Capitalize the first letter in each tag, currently the tags are mixed upper and lower case, or make all letters lower case.

2. Ability to filter out unwanted tags from keywords. Now you will get a lot of useless tags like, "favorite","seen live" and "i love".

Jorgen

one more thing I've noticed. If there are more tags for a track on last.fm than can fit in the keywords field, MB will ignore those tags which didn't fit when filtering to the genre, occasion, mood and grouping fields.

My first track in my library shows this , A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran.
There are about 100 tags for this song on last.fm and 25-30 of them are copied to the keywords field, I assume this is because you can't fit all of them.
None of these 25-30 tags pass the filters for occasion, mood and grouping. If I look at all the tags I can see at least 1 tag, "optimistic", which should have been copied to mood.

Steven

• Administrator
one more thing I've noticed. If there are more tags for a track on last.fm than can fit in the keywords field, MB will ignore those tags which didn't fit when filtering to the genre, occasion, mood and grouping fields.

My first track in my library shows this , A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran.
There are about 100 tags for this song on last.fm and 25-30 of them are copied to the keywords field, I assume this is because you can't fit all of them.
None of these 25-30 tags pass the filters for occasion, mood and grouping. If I look at all the tags I can see at least 1 tag, "optimistic", which should have been copied to mood.
I implemented some filtering on the keywords in an attempt to remove some of the rubbish and also keep the amount of space required to a reasonable limit.
For keywords as implemented now, it restricts to a maximum of the 40 highest ranked keywords and also excludes the bottom few keywords that have a low number of users ranking the tag.
But for genre, occasion, mood and grouping because they are filtered from whitelists all tags from the tag cloud are checked.

I'll implement both your suggestions above

Steven

• Administrator
i've converted all tags to lower-case, and added keyword exceptions (which is none by default)
also tweaked so keywords with more than 2 words are excluded - let me know if you disagree with that
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmdv4yhm2zn
Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:38:28 PM by Steven

Jorgen

I agree with you about the more than 2 word tag filter, that is a very effective way to remove unwanted tags. If you look at this page you can only find 1 tag with more than 2 words that can be considered useful.
http://www.last.fm/charts/toptags
To save that tag and similar ones maybe there should be an exception for all the tags that are in the 4 filters (genres,occasions,moods and groupings), so that they are copied before you apply the more than 2 word filter.

A filter that removes tags identical to track title or artist would also be good to have.

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator
this includes tags in the keywords if on any whitelist
and on the exclusions side, tags matching artist and album are excluded
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewilzhmmf13

Jorgen

Could you change so that also the "Auto Tag by track - Overwrite genre tag" writes the genre tags in lower case ?

This option is good to use for tracks that doesn't have any tag cloud on lastfm.