Author Topic: Auto-tag album type prioritization  (Read 7174 times)

vi3x

Hello,
I was autotagging recently some of my mp3's and even though I knew artist and title, I wasn't sure about the album name. By using the auto-tag by album function on different tracks, most of the time I could retrieve "only" compilations, live versions, bootleg or singles. The official album doesn't show up at all, I had to find it on Wikipedia. Maybe it's just me, but I think that the auto-tagger should give priority to the official album rather than to some random compilation in which the song happened to be included...

redwing

You might want to check your settings under Preferences> Tags(2)> auto-tagging> tags, and try different selections/order of websites to retrieve different results. I guess they might vary according to the song's genre, etc. I get official albums first at most time.

vi3x

I tried, but it didn't change much.

Currently I'm trying with
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man
Guano Apes - Open Your Eyes
The Knack - My Sharona

"Lynyrd Skynyrd" & "Simple Man" returns only compilations, live and bootlegs. "Guano Apes" & "Open Your Eyes" returns only 1 match, a single, while adding the actual name of the album ("Proud Like A God") it shows up the correct result. "The Knack" & "My Sharona" return only 3 compilations, but as soon as I input "Get The Knack" as album, the correct result is found.

I can't quite understand the search algorithm, usually the more keywords you add, the less results you get, here is kinda backwards...

redwing

I tried, but it didn't change much.

Currently I'm trying with
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man
Guano Apes - Open Your Eyes
The Knack - My Sharona

"Lynyrd Skynyrd" & "Simple Man" returns only compilations, live and bootlegs. "Guano Apes" & "Open Your Eyes" returns only 1 match, a single, while adding the actual name of the album ("Proud Like A God") it shows up the correct result. "The Knack" & "My Sharona" return only 3 compilations, but as soon as I input "Get The Knack" as album, the correct result is found.

I can't quite understand the search algorithm, usually the more keywords you add, the less results you get, here is kinda backwards...

Yeah, I can replicate with those cases exactly as you described. It seems that changing the settings has little effect, and, as you reported, whether album field has a value or not almost decides what results are retrieved. Does that mean auto-tag album feature assumes the user knows the album name? I don't know, but I hope Steven or other members will shed a light on the issue.

redwing

Looks like the problem is happening only with freedb, i.e. without entering Album name, freedb is almost useless.
But with entering Album name, the database is really useful.

redwing

Steven, when you look at album auto-tagger, have a look at this thread too. It's not fixed yet.

[Mods, please move this thread to the bug reports]

Steven

• Administrator
Can you point me to a specific example where its not returning the correct results as compared to doing the same query on the source website? I checked a couple of the above and both were as returned on musicbrainz.
FYI, generally only musicbrainz and beatport ar used for track based queries where an album is not provided.
I see discogs is being used when it shouldnt so i will correct that but it doesnt return any results anyway for the ones i checked.

redwing

FYI, generally only musicbrainz and beatport ar used for track based queries where an album is not provided.

I didn't know that. As stated in the thread, I was referring to freedb with the examples provided by the OP. For instance, I just tried searching "The Knack - My Sharona" with search box at freedb.org, and it returned lots of "Get the Knack" albums unlike MB auto-tagger. Is it different?

Steven

• Administrator
freedb is not very good for track oriented searches and i removed that functionality

redwing

I don't quite understand why other sites don't show those albums. I tried MusicBrainz with those examples (only with artist and track), and the search results did include official albums. But they don't show up with MB's auto-tagger.

Steven

• Administrator
as i said i used the musicbrainz website which returned the same set of compilations that mb receives.
if you let me know the name of the album musicbrainz app returns then i might be able to figure out what is happening

redwing

I went to http://musicbrainz.org/search

Then entered "The Knack" in artist, "My Sharona" in track. The results are much more than what MB shows. It included the official album "Get the Knack".

Entering "Lynyrd Skynyrd" (artist) and "Simple Man" (track) also retrieved its official album "(Pronounced 'L?h-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)".

Steven

• Administrator
ok, using that search mechanism does return some albums however the reason they are filtered from the musicbee results is because they dont have a score of 100

redwing

Can you adjust the filtering setting? If such searches don't retrieve official albums, it won't be much useful.