Author Topic: Simplicity and consistency  (Read 17436 times)

SimonBRT

double-clicking on the 'Track Information' header opens/closes the 'Now Playing' section of the RH panel; double-clicking on the 'Now Playing' header floats the 'Now Playing' panel...

I've been using MB for well over two years and I did not know this!  I think these options could be accessed via menus/hotkeys if necessary.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
did you know that if you double-click the 'Lyrics' header, it floats the Lyrics panel; and if you double-click 'Library Explorer' header, it expands/collapses the list to fill the LH panel?
Maybe I need to put these into the 'MusicBee's "hidden" features' post?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

did you know that if you double-click the 'Lyrics' header, it floats the Lyrics panel; and if you double-click 'Library Explorer' header, it expands/collapses the list to fill the LH panel?
Maybe I need to put these into the 'MusicBee's "hidden" features' post?

Yes, those are really helpful tips, except this one that's already there.

Library Explorer: Resize / Maximise
--------------------------------------------
To drag the library explorer up/down you can grab the panel-header wherever you want (You don't have to hit exactly the top of the header, where the resize-cursor appears).

You can also double-click the header to maximise the panel up to the top (and back down again to the recent position).

lnminente

Thanks for commenting guys, hope this time we can solve the back button thing :)

Moderators: I think it could be convenient splitting the thread since http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8795.msg51275#msg51275 to this post for not eclipsing the other points. TIA!

redwing

Now, regarding Playing Track panel (#7), I agree with lnminente that currently it's a pain to access the panel and to switch between tab and bottom pane. This is what I propose.

1. Make MB remember the last position for Playing Track panel. Then the button in the bottom opens up either tab or bottom pane for the panel. Its current tooltip, saying "Open Panel" and "Hide Panel," works perfect.

2. Add a right-click menu item of "Show in a Tab" and "Show in the Bottom Pane" above "Customize Panel Settings," to bottom pane and tab, respectively, so that users can easily switch between them.

3. "Do Not Display" option is not necessary. The button in the bottom should be always available.

4. Now, if this is implemented, how would it work? If you want to open the panel, click the button. Then it will open the last position, either tab or bottom. To switch between them, right-click on it and select "Show ..." item. To exit, click again the button for both (closing tab also works for tab). Then MB will remember the position and next time open it up again.

lnminente

For 7, 14 & 15) I am "working" in the idea of a bigger change related. My personal view is:
- Feel like Playing track in a tab is near a duplicity of theater mode in a window.
- Playing track in a tab is way different than Playing track at the bottom. Both have same links, but feel the one at the bottom more convenient for "internet services" and last.fm plugin than for full web links.
-For web links used in the the PT in a tab, feel it more convenient directly opening then in a tab. So its easier to copy or edit the current address, more consistent with a browser, and has more vertical space.

Edit: Added mockups ====================
So with that in mind, the idea by now is:

Playing track at the bottom:
-Leaving the button in the status bar only for showing the playing track at the bottom, being always visible.
-If opening this panel causes incompatibilities with an opened playing track in a tab in background, then close the PT in a tab.
-In PT at the bottom removing the web links by default (leaving the possibility for adding them) and using only web services or plugins intended for a narrow and wide panel.

PT in a tab:
-For simplicity fusing Theater mode and Playing track in a tab
-Hability to switching to full screen, the same hotkeys than in TM in a window.
-Removing the bar with links in PT in a tab

Browsing panel:
-Rename library\bookmarks to library\audio bookmarks
-As playing track in a tab opens in a tab, add an entry to the left browsing panel. If opening it causes incompatibilities to the PT at the bottom then collapse this last one, keeping its button at the bottom.
-Move the web links in playing track, to a bookmarks folder named "Playing track links"
-Add a new folder for visualiser, being able to opening playing track in a tab or the other visualisers

I guess this can be considered a radical change, so please people comment :)
Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:50:17 AM by lnminente

redwing

After proposing a support for the ability to hide location bar and Playing Track panel's tabs for compact player mode with embedded TM (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8951.msg52326#msg52326), now I am finding some ideas in lnminente's proposal for embedded TM thought-provoking.

Some points I'd like to add to this discussion:

-Add a new folder for visualiser, being able to opening playing track in a tab or the other visualisers

Maybe it's worth reconsidering embedded TM as a visual mode like visualizer instead of a tab or panel fixed in certain positions. What if the user can activate a TM in a tab with last.fm recommendation plugin in the bottom at the same time? What about a visualizer in a tab with a TM in the bottom pane? How about one TM view in a tab with another TM view in the bottom?

-Removing the bar with links in PT in a tab

I was surprised to find this idea had been already proposed here.

Move the web links in playing track, to a bookmarks folder named "Playing track links"

That could work.

And I would propose auto-collapsing location bar and status bar when TM in a tab is activated with the ability to restore them with mouse-over. Imagine the picture with lnminente's no-tabs-bar mockup.

3. Then why embedded TM instead of full TM where you can design whatever as you like? There are certain advantages and conveniences of embedded TM (e.g. for customized compact player mode).

- You can use MB's native player (standard and flat-out) and various controls.
- You can auto-open side panels when you want to select a playlist or a node or to browse Now Playing list.
- Auto-opening location bar offers more convenient functionality with toolbar buttons.
Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:16:17 AM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
some of the things seem reasonable to implement but i probably wont be looking at requests for things i dont already have in mind until september

lnminente

These proposals took me an important amount of time so glad to see they won't be forgotten. Thanks Steven :)

lnminente