Author Topic: Audio CD Database | cdplayer.ini  (Read 11524 times)

WannaBee

Does MusicBee currently support opening, or otherwise utilize, the cdplayer.ini file? If not, is adding this feature envisaged for a future edition?

Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
i have never heard of this file before. I assume it only applies to self-burnt data cd's and is always in the root folder - is that correct?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Does MusicBee currently support opening, or otherwise utilize, the cdplayer.ini file?

With its 64kb data limit, I thought support for that finished after Windows98. CD info now usually comes from on-line databases.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

WannaBee

The following quotes provide a reasonable explanation of what the cdplayer.ini file is and why it is employed by apps capable of reading and burning CD's.

Microsoft:
The Artist, Track, and Title settings are stored in the Cdplayer.ini file in the Windows folder. You can transfer the settings to another computer by copying the Cdplayer.ini file to the other computer. To do so, either copy the Cdplayer.ini file from the Windows folder to a floppy disk and then copy it to the Windows folder on the other computer, or if the computers are connected to a network, use the network to copy the file from the Windows folder on one computer to the Windows folder on the other computer.

NOTE: If there is already a Cdplayer.ini file in the Windows folder on the second computer, you must rename it before you copy the file from the first computer or you will overwrite the existing file. You can merge the contents of two Cdplayer.ini files using the Copy and Paste commands in a text editor (such as Notepad).

AudioLabel:
CDPlayer.ini is a file that might be on your computer and is used to store album information such as the artist, title, and track list. This file was originally created by a Windows program called CD Player that shipped with Windows 95 and Windows 98. Since then, many other audio programs have adopted this file standard and can read and write to this file. It's possible to find the CDPlayer.ini on any Windows computer (including Windows XP).

AudioLabel cd label software can scan this file, retrieve the album information, and fill out the label for you. AudioLabel does not create the CDPlayer.ini file, it simply reads from it (if present). The CDPlayer.ini file is usually found on your computer under "C:/ Windows/cdplayer.ini" or "C:/ WINNT/cdplayer.ini". It should be noted that this file may not be on your computer at all depending the audio software you have installed on your computer. Many cd-burning programs create and add information to this file

JRMediacenter:
The file CDPlayer.ini is a local cache of disc metadata, it is created from CDText or from an Internet lookup (such as YADB or an external program).

When a disc is looked up or submitted to YADB, the data is also added to CDPlayer.ini.

To change CDPlayer.ini data for a disc, insert the disc, correct the data, and submit it to YADB. This will also write the corrected info to the file.

MediaMonkey:
CD Album Information is 'Unknown' in Windows 7 Solution

On Windows 7, inserting a CD (or attempting to edit the properties of tracks on a CD) will fail to correctly look up and save the album properties causing all track attributes to be unknown. This occurs because track attributes are saved to a file called cdplayer.ini which can only be edited by a user with admin rights.

There are three workarounds to this problem:

1) Run MediaMonkey as Admin (i.e. right-click on MediaMonkey and 'Run as administrator')

2) Change the permissions of cdplayer.ini so that it can be edited

a) Log in as Administrator
  b) Find CDPlayer.ini in C:\Windows or C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows
  c) Right click on the file -> Properties -> Security
  d) Edit Permissions
  e) Select Users and Enable Full Control to CDPlayer.ini
  f) Click Apply then OK and lastly OK to confirm Properties change

3) Add the CD into library (Right-click and select 'Add/Rescan tracks to library') and CD info will be stored in your database

BeeBeeKing

It's also still used by Collectorz Music, dbPoweramp ripper, and most cd player software. It comes in handy especially when using multiple audio software players/database programs etc.
Still using cdplayer.ini on win7 and it's current size is 2545KB

WannaBee

@bluesbeat: That's one huge cdplayer.ini file. :).

Mine clocks in at c. 500KB. The size, therefore, seemingly is unlimited. I'm also running it on the Windows 7 (x64) platform, where I use it with Exact Audio Copy much. Metadata of many of my albums are unavailable at the usual online sources, so I have to poll local. Luckily I have saved my cdplayer.in file for more than a decade, so now it does come in very handy. It certainly would be nice if MusicBee were also capable of utilizing it.

BeeBeeKing

Hi, apologies for digging up an old topic, but....
Haven't been on the forum for a while so can't remember the current state of play...

1.can you tell me if MusicBee reads/writes to cdplayer.ini? i am using it in Windows 10 and find it useful for shifting track information between other programs that also use it.

2. Does  MusicBee read/write to/from cdtext? very handy when ripping  or burning.

Are there controls buried somewhere I haven't found them?
And if not, can these two features be considered for inclusion please?

phred

• Global Moderator
If this is important to you, I suggest you post it to the Wishlist sub-forum for possible consideration.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

BeeBeeKing

Well, obviously it's important to me. I can't beleive at this late stage neither have been adopted. most cds have cdtext embedded, so why not use that info?