Author Topic: global hotkeys when minimized to tray  (Read 23691 times)

Crosmanrond

I'm not sure if this is already implemented and simply doesn't work with my keyboard, or if it was overlooked previously, or even, perhaps, not implemented on purpose. Regardless, MB doesn't appear to respond to global hotkeys(Media Play/Pause/Stop/etc) when minimized to tray, would it be possible to add that as either a regular function or, at the very least, as an option on the hotkeys page? I have a media keyboard for the explicit reason of not having to keep my music player open all the time in order to control it, but since I have to have MB open in some fashion(mini-player/full player) it quite defeats the purpose.

Thanks!
Cros

chorpo

It is Implemented and with my Microsoft Digital Keyboard 3000, multimedia keys are working just fine... What keyboard are you using on which operation system... This is clear the problem a bit...

Crosmanrond

actually, I'm using the exact same keyboard as you...which makes me wonder what's set wrong...

chorpo

actually, I'm using the exact same keyboard as you...which makes me wonder what's set wrong...

Interesting :-) which version of Microsoft Intellitype do you have?? Is it IntelliType Pro 7.1 ( http://www.filehippo.com/download_intellitype/tech/ ) ? Which operating system?? Mine is Windows 7 32bit. Did you upgraded Intellitype recently (from version 7.0 to 7.1)?

Crosmanrond

well I found I was using v6 of IntelliType, so I updated that, but MB still doesn't respond to the media buttons when sent to the tray. I did notice that MB's "multimedia:..." keys are unassigned to, but I have no way to assign my media keys.

chorpo

What version of MB do you have?? (In Help menu click About) I have 1.2.3731. I just tried it on my keyboard and it working perfect...

Crosmanrond

I have version 1.2.3725(the newest I can find).
Please note I have the option "Minimize to notification tray" selected.
Also I think my problem is because of how Win7 handles programs and hotkeys differently than XP.

chorpo

I have version 1.2.3725(the newest I can find).
Please note I have the option "Minimize to notification tray" selected.
Also I think my problem is because of how Win7 handles programs and hotkeys differently than XP.

When I have Minimize to Taskbar or Minimize to Mini-player selected than multimedia keys are working corretly. But as you mentioned when MB minimizes itself to notification tray, mediakeys arent working. Could you please look at this Steven...

Crosmanrond

I did, just yesterday, have Steven add the ability to use commands like "musicbee.exe /playpause" and while this allows me to handle things it also adds a significant lag time for hotkeys. So I other words "Yes, please do look at this Steven."

Steven

• Administrator
could you try this - it is guesswork though as i dont have a multi-media keyboard
if it does work, could you also confirm its ok with the mini-player
http://www.mediafire.com/?otom2lniyz2

Crosmanrond

Nope, that doesn't work, in fact that was a step backwards, now the hotkeys don't even work when MB is maximized.
Thanks,
Cros

Steven

• Administrator
could you run this test.exe
click start
press a media key
click stop
and then pm me the data in the textbox

http://www.mediafire.com/?qnjymzn3m22

smd

My problem is slightly different but along the same lines, so I thought I'd post it here instead of starting a new thread.  The media keys don't work for me if MusicBee is not selected, even when it is not minimized to the tray.  It only works if MusicBee has the focus.  I am using a Dell keyboard, on Windows XP.
iTunes did the exact same thing (media keys only work when it has the focus), and I had to get an addon (HKTunes) for it to work, but that doesn't seem to work with this program  :)
Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
do you have 'global' set to yes for the hotkeys in question? (global means you can press the key from anywhere, even when MB doesnt have the focus)

smd

do you have 'global' set to yes for the hotkeys in question? (global means you can press the key from anywhere, even when MB doesnt have the focus)

Ah yes, that worked!  I didn't know I had to assign them (play/pause, next etc.) individually and enable "global" for each one.  Thanks a lot.