Author Topic: Wiki pages  (Read 138704 times)

Xyzzy

How can I easilly access and apply templates used in the wiki? There are a few templates in the right sidebar during editing, but they are irrelevant.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, the right sidebar is mostly useless.  This page is linked from the front page of the wiki, and should list all templates (I'm working on tracking down any strays, but it definitely includes everything I created):

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Templates

To apply a template, use {{TemplateName}}, or with parameters it's {{TemplateName|param 1|param 2|etc}}.

Edit: Also, I fixed the typo I made in {{?}}.  :)
Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:36:58 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A heads up for everybody:

Steven has linked the Online Help to the wiki (should already be in effect for all, doesn't require an update), and as I was checking it out for the first time I realized that it's actually possible to interact with the pages directly through the help window in MB.  (I was able to sign in, which vastly reduces the number of ads that you see, even without adblock).  

That, combined with turning on the Article Comments feature, means that it's very likely we'll start receiving questions directly on the wiki soon.  I have my eye pretty closely on the Recent Changes page (http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges) and get email notifications for new edits.  If anyone else wants general email notifications, I can probably give you permissions for that (you'd need an account, of course).  Anyone with an account can "follow" particular pages and be notified of edits to that page specifically.

(I should add, there seems to be a mix of old online help and new at the moment, but when you pull it up you are first directed to the wiki.)
Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:01:16 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I added a site-wide notice to the wiki that folks from Online Help should see, too.  I also added a link to the forum on the UnderConstruction template.  Feedback or change requests welcome.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Xyzzy

Edit: Also, I fixed the typo I made in {{?}}.  :)

I think {{?}} should not apply break-line.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think I fixed it.  Thanks for pointing that out.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Xyzzy

Hi,

I think a template is missing for internal highlighting/referencing, fe. when I want to put an option name in another option's desription.

Xyzzy

What about a small reorganization of wiki topics? The current setup is a bit confusing sometimes.

MusicBee Basics - this should cover official pages, general 'finding your way around' information and basic MusicBee concepts and procedures (without reference material, but extensively cross-referenced): MusicBee Official, Starting (covers installation and first run), Basic procedures (contents of Music and Organization more or less), Basic concepts (what is a tag, a library, a music file etc).

More Help - it should cover advanced procedures, all reference information and troubleshooting information:
Advanced procedures (fe. reorganization, replaygain setup, using Auto-DJ), References (panels, Preferences, dialogs, menus, detailed concepts), Troubleshooting

Customization - it should cover Layout/ Appearance/ Plugins as it is now, with Misc section spread over Basics and More Help.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi,

I think a template is missing for internal highlighting/referencing, fe. when I want to put an option name in another option's desription.

Can you give me an example?  It probably just needs a link and a redirect.

What about a small reorganization of wiki topics? The current setup is a bit confusing sometimes.

It sound like you're describing basically what exists now.  What specifically do you want changed?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Xyzzy

Hi,

Can you give me an example?  It probably just needs a link and a redirect.

Custom Tags page, sentence "They are available by default on save to music file as tag drop-down. ". I would like 'save to music file as tag', which is an option name, to be at least highlighted, or even better a link to option description (strange manner of lower case options doesn't help readability as well.

It sound like you're describing basically what exists now.  What specifically do you want changed?

Well, it's all written...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Custom Tags page, sentence "They are available by default on save to music file as tag drop-down. ". I would like 'save to music file as tag', which is an option name, to be at least highlighted, or even better a link to option description (strange manner of lower case options doesn't help readability as well.

I was just following the way it is in MusicBee with the lowercase options.  You're welcome to change it.

You can create bold text in wikis by placing three single quotes on either side of it: '''text'''.  (Two single quotes will make italics.)

If you want to color text, you can use this format: <span style="color:#XXXXXX">text</span>, where XXXXXX is a hex code (or you can use a color name such as found here: http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_colornames.asp).

I've linked the text to the Tags Preferences page for now, but the reason the "save music file to tag as" doesn't have an explanation on the Preferences page is because it is expected to be explained in more detail (with screenshots, etc) on the Custom Tags page.  Working on a better solution...

Update: I have added an anchor link to the {{Setting}} template.  What that means is that you can link to any of the highlighted settings from within the same page by using {{In|setting name}}, if "setting name" is the same text used for the setting itself (case sensitive).  To link to a setting using different text, you can use [[#setting name|other text]].  To link to it from another page, use [[Setting Page#setting name|text]].
Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:53:18 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Given the recent questions on the subject, I started the Backup & Restore page.   Can anyone add to this list of things you might want to backup?

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore#What_Goes_Where
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If anyone's interested, our daily visits on the wiki have been roughly between 750 and 950 for the last week.  That's up from around 200 before the new online help was implemented.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
the old help topics are still getting quite a few hits - i expect google will direct people more to the wiki over time but if anyone knows how to improve the ranking of the wiki when people search musicbee then please let me know