Author Topic: Wiki pages  (Read 138736 times)

AvikB

Maybe for the new forum, the integration with your wikia could get a little bit tighter?

Any thoughts from others on this?
What do you mean by tighter integration with forum? I can integrate wikia in the site help section but i can not use forum crdential for wikia login or anything. :/

Yet currently, I myself don't find myself very comfortable with the structure of the wikia, and hardly ever think of referring to it.
I am only guessing I am not the only one, since I do not very often see more experienced members pointing new members to the wikia or it's FAQ for answers or solutions.
I am also not comfortable with wikia either. My plan for the new site is to integrate wikia in the help section. The help section will have top wikia topics, recent wikia topics and essential or most useful topics listed there as well as faq. The help section will get these from wikia via their api.

The potential and the content certainly is there, considering searching the forum for answers is not really easy or fun to do also.
Forum search is the most horrible thing there is. But i am afraid it is the design issue with SMF nothing i can do.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
My plan for the new site is to integrate wikia in the help section. The help section will have top wikia topics, recent wikia topics and essential or most useful topics listed there as well as faq. The help section will get these from wikia via their api.

Awesome!  Please let me know what I can do to facilitate this.  And I hope in the long run we can familiarize you with the wiki, too.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

This could well be a personal thing, but I don't like the drop down menu's to navigate between the different topics in the wiki.
It's giving me a rather nervous feeling, if you know what I mean, and I think it doesn't present a very clear and comfortable overview on what's what.

Would it be an option to have a menu more like this screenshot?
(Don't take this picture literally. I just grabbed the first image I found that slightly resembled what I am trying to say here)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Bad news: The menu layout is hardcoded in Wikia.  All non-registered users will get that layout.

Good news: You can change it for yourself by going to your preferences page and finding the "layout" option.  If you change it from Wikia to Monobook, it gives a format more like what you're asking for.

Bad news: There's no menu to speak of in the Monobook format right now.  We would need to figure out how to create it.  If it's really important to you, I will dig around in another wiki that I was working on about the time Wikia introduced their current format (well, the original incarnation of it).  It has a real side menu.

It's here, although you'll need to change your layout in wikia before you'll see the side menu: http://sryth.wikia.com/wiki/Sryth_Wiki
Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:44:31 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

If it's something only I dislike, and it's also a lot of work or perhaps even impossible, I will surely adept myself and learn to get comfortable with it.
But I thought It might perhaps result in a clearer start-page for newbees too. Never mind. I might be a bit old-fashioned here.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If it's something only I dislike, and it's also a lot of work or perhaps even impossible, I will surely adept myself and learn to get comfortable with it.
But I thought It might perhaps result in a clearer start-page for newbees too. Never mind. I might be a bit old-fashioned here.

It's definitely not something only you dislike.  You'll notice an item at the top of the Sryth Wiki front page urging people to use the Monobook format instead of the new one.  :)  But, yeah, I learned to live with the new format because I didn't want to put the effort into maintaining two menus, two skins, etc.  I don't think Wikia maintains the Monobook code anymore, either.   (Unlike some people we know, Wikia is more about their bottom line than making the best UI.)

Edit: For what it's worth, Wikia is still the best of the lot for free wiki sites.  At least it was when I researched alternatives for Sryth Wiki.
Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:47:41 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've finished the major revisions on Navigator and Devices, if anyone cares to look them over.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Navigator
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Devices
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
looks good to me - its looks very comprehensive for new users

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
looks good to me - its looks very comprehensive for new users

MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

AvikB

It's here, although you'll need to change your layout in wikia before you'll see the side menu: http://sryth.wikia.com/wiki/Sryth_Wiki
It looks really nice, specially the expand section looks like a nice way to present FAQ, I will probably look into wikia's styling guide to see if it can be improved.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It looks really nice, specially the expand section looks like a nice way to present FAQ, I will probably look into wikia's styling guide to see if it can be improved.

Are you talking about the expandable table in the Contents section?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

AvikB

yup.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

yup.

I could definitely recreate that if folks think it would be helpful.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:18:31 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Here, no point in reinventing the wheel.  I copied it over to my user page for now, replaced the headings and took out the contents.  What categories do we want to include?  Are these good?

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/User:Psychoadept
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:11:40 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

AvikB

Here, no point in reinventing the wheel.  I copied it over to my user page for now, replaced the headings and took out the contents.  What categories do we want to include?  Are these good?

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/User:Psychoadept

yeah that looks nice.

Here is some categories i can think for now.

// For General Guides

* Downloads & Getting Started
              * Links for MusicBee stable release(download page link)
              * Beta Release thread (forum link)
              * How to install and uninstall
              * Adding Music Library or import existing

* Layout Customizations/Skins
              * Downloading & Installing Skins
              * Layout Options Basic (MusicBee panels configuration)
              * Tabs Configuration

* MusicBee Settings
              * Making MusicBee default MusicPlayer (Windows explorer integration)
              * Hotkeys
              * Folder Monitoring & Auto Organize Library

* MusicBee Plugins
              * Downloading and Installing
              * Plugin setting panel

* API & Developers
              * API download link
              * Requirement (software like visual studio)
              * Detailed documentation (API Method and explanation)
              * Tips & Tricks
              * Getting Started tutorial

// Advance Guides & Tutorials

* MusicBee Tools
              * Tagging & Missing Artwork
              * CD Ripping & Burning
              * Volume Scaling
              * Format Conversion

* Player Controls
              * Last.fm Integration
              * Auto DJ
              * Equaliser and DSP Plugins