Author Topic: "Replace file" feature  (Read 34990 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I know this was explained somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it:  when using the "Replace selected file" command, how does MB choose which folder to open?

In my experience, it opens the last subfolder in the artists's folder in the inbox.  In a perfect world, I'd love for it to look at the "automatically sweep and organize" template and find the actual Inbox folder that would correspond to the file being replaced...  barring that I would prefer that it just opened the artist's folder and let me choose the subfolder, or at least go to the first rather than last subfolder.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

Steven explained it to me once when I made a false bug report. It's something like it opens the last folder in the Inbox if there is the same artist present (it uses artist not album artist), and if not, it opens the last folder that you manually navigated to.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Steven explained it to me once when I made a false bug report. It's something like it opens the last folder in the Inbox if there is the same artist present (it uses artist not album artist), and if not, it opens the last folder that you manually navigated to.

Right, thanks.  What I'm suggesting is that either MusicBee make some sort of intelligent guess as to which folder to open under the artist folder, or not try to guess which subfolder to open.  If I'm going down a list replacing tracks, I'm going to go from top to bottom, and since my folder names correspond almost exactly to my library sort order (Artist/Year - Album), opening the last folder is unhelpful - it means I have to navigate UP from that folder, and then down to the correct folder, not just once but for every track in an album.  So I think MB should default to the artist level folder if it can't match subfolders precisely.

Wild thought here - I get why Steven wouldn't want to try to automatically replace a whole album, too much room for things to get borked.  But what if there was a "replace album" dialog that worked a little like the auto-tag by album screen, where you could see the list of matched tracks and adjust manually before replacing multiple files?  It could be limited to one source folder and one target folder to keep things from getting out of hand.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

emmaoninternet

Wild thought here - I get why Steven wouldn't want to try to automatically replace a whole album, too much room for things to get borked.  But what if there was a "replace album" dialog that worked a little like the auto-tag by album screen, where you could see the list of matched tracks and adjust manually before replacing multiple files?  It could be limited to one source folder and one target folder to keep things from getting out of hand.

+1 this, especially speaking as someone who's about to blow up their drive with upgraded quality versions of, like, 1/3 of a 25K song library