Author Topic: Add a numeric album rating tag  (Read 6281 times)

sssweat

Hi,

I have several sorting orders in MB, and one of them is sorting by album rating. Problem with it is that it only rates by "stars" and "half-stars", so it causes problems when an album has 3.90 and another has 3.75 because they are shown with 4 stars.

The sorting if fine, the 3.90 will be higher than the 3.75, but it would be fine to have a tag "numeric album rating" to better show this.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
You can achieve this yourself using a custom/virtual tag. I would go with the virtual tag, as the rating is already written as a tag in the file.

oops. just checked and rating isn't available in the virtual tags menu, so you would have to use a custom tag
Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:16:41 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

paq

1. Albums sorted by <Album Rating> are actually sorted by a numerical value (an integer from 0 to 100) rather than the stars shown. So if two albums appear next to each other and they both have a rating of four stars, the better will album will take precedence according to sorting.

2. Although <Album Rating> is not on the list of tags available when creating a Virtual Tag, you can still type it in. Create a Virtual Tag (Preferences > Tags (1) > Define New Tags...) with only <Album Rating> and show it in a column - you'll now see the numeric value you asked for. However,  this is right now sorted as a string rather than a number (1, 100, 2, 20, ...) but we can fix that :) Go to Preferences > Layout (1) > Configure Fields, look up your Virtual Tag and change type for your Virtual Tag to Number. (Note how you can select Rating here if you rather want to see stars.)

(If you would have used a custom tag, you would need to copy all your album ratings values into that custom tag for each track.)

Edit: Just realized right now that you said that the sorting works fine, so no need for me to point that out like I did above, sorry :)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
2. Although <Album Rating> is not on the list of tags available when creating a Virtual Tag, you can still type it in.

Thanks paq, I didn't know this (actually I did, but I had forgotten about it). I thought you were stuck with only what came up in the list.
Ahh. Another day - another new feature found (or re-discovered) on MB  ;)
Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:28:59 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

paq

MusicBee - the best player/manager for re-discovery? :D