Author Topic: Question about a web API  (Read 7449 times)

Grismar

Hello, since this is my first post on this forum, Steven Mayall, let me start by saying I love MusicBee and I think you've done wonderful work. It's solid, it's user-friendly, it runs wonderfully on my HTPC and even my wife loves it. (and you know that last one is the harder point to score ;-)) And my main reason for loving it is that it ate up my entire collection of carefully meta-dated music without spilling a single crumb - impressive!

What started out as an exercise in "I wonder if..." and an exercise in polishing up my C# skills has now turned into a working plugin that embeds a fully functional web server in MusicBee and exposes a significant part of the API as a JSON web service. It features long polling for multiple subscribers to get events into the clients near real-time and thanks to the choices made in the API, getting data back and forth was easier than I had feared.

Thats where my first question comes in. The API is so well-suited to taking it over to the web, I started to wonder if anyone else had any plans of doing so and that this was the reason for the API design?

Apart from that reasoning, is there a web API at all on the roadmap for MusicBee? I didn't think so, because in other threads I got the strong impression that you felt people should just get over themselves and learn .Net - even if they're Java-heads. But before I start putting time in polishing my plugin and getting it ready for actual use by others, I thought I'd check.

Finally, I recognize the nice work done sofar by Konstantinos Paparas on MusicBee Remote, but one of my reasons for getting started on this was to get some sort of remote working that will work cross-platform. (essentially on our Android phones, previous generation iPod, Android tablet and possible on any smart mobile device people bring into our house at parties) So, if I do plod on, I might get a bit in his way and I guess it might be nice to have a bit of a chat first. His app looks native to me, so perhaps there are useful ways in which we can complement each other instead of making a mess :).

Steven

• Administrator
"kogash" is in the process of writing a mobile remote which includes a web-server - see:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8366.0

if thats what you had in mind you could contact him.

Grismar

Thanks, I'll do that. Just a quick question pertaining to my project: are there any clear limitations in using the MusicBee name and/or logo in promoting something like a plugin or remote? Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on getting rich off some plugin :). Just want to avoid accidentally using something which I shouldn't and on the other hand, would like to contribute to increasing usage of both my plugin and MusicBee itself by mentioning it and perhaps showing the logo.

Steven

• Administrator
the only thing i would say is to make it clear you are not affiliated with myself and to create your own icon for any apps you create (the android remote is a really good example)