Author Topic: Why does shuffle play always start on the first song?  (Read 4606 times)

tallsavage

tallsavage

select album (in Main Player screen), right click and select play now

ma_t14

I just read the older thread and I am with "tallsavage" on this one. The current behaviour should be changed.

Steven gave the explanation that when you select an album Musicbee internaly recognizes the first song as being the starting point and then begins shuffling the rest of the selection.

That means that current shuffle funtion is not "true" shuffling. There should not be a starting point limitation. The starting point should preferably be random as well. I am not sure how other software handle this but in my opinion my suggestion makes more sense.

Thoughts?

Steven

• Administrator
i am sure this has come up a few times before. I cant test this now but i believe in the Now Playing shuffle settings, when group by album is ticked the first track in an album will play unless you start playback from a specific song eg. by double clicking it.
If shuffle album tracks is also ticked then it starts from a random track in the album, except again if you start playback from a specific song

tallsavage

sorry ... obviously didnt remember asking this before ...

where is the 'shuffle album tracks' that you mention?

ma_t14

It's under edit>preferences>now playing

Yes, Steven you are right, if you have both options ticked then it doesn't start from the 1st track.

But it would be better if that option was not limited to albums only. I imagine not everyone wants to shuffle by album

tallsavage

... if i understand where we are going with this ... yes ... i guess i was wondering that shuffle play would start on any track, any album, any playlist ...

mortimertwist

Selecting "group by album" and then "shuffle album tracks" does indeed shuffle the very first track.

BUT it only shuffles between songs of that same album. If you are shuffling one single album this works fine, but if like me, you want to shuffle the works of an entire artist, it doesn't work. Rather, it shuffles one album until the entire album has been played, then moves on to the next album.

If you deselect "group by album" then "shuffle album tracks" no longer applies anymore.

Judging from some of the other posts (and the age of some of the posts) I don't think I'm the only one who would prefer to see a TRUE shuffle function, or at least an option to select that behaviour (maybe there are people out there who want the first song to play first before shuffling the album...?).

It's just about the only complaint I have with this excellent software after a couple years of using it, but it's been a bit of an irritation the whole time...