Author Topic: Skins on the wiki  (Read 145047 times)

redwing

Tone downed a notch. How's it?

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the background color of the whole site to brown. You know, bees and honeycomb.
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:02:37 AM by redwing

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Getting there!  It doesn't overpower the light skins.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Lowered saturation a little more. Need to change light-blue headings too. Would you do that?

And think about the idea.
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:15:33 AM by redwing

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
both done!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

both done!

No, I meant brown instead of grey background, not the black honeycomb pattern.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ah.  In that case, I'm not going to mess with it.  I don't want to get bogged down in trying to make a whole custom theme.  Hopefully the gold background addresses Lakrits' issue, though.

Also, I tried out the blue on the skins.  If you prefer the brown I'll revert back, I was just curious.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

I don't like it at all. Why did you remove the honeycomb pattern? I am starting to regret my having made this suggestion in the first place.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I removed the honeycomb because Lakrits said it was bothering him.  I was concerned from the beginning that the wavy look would be problematic for some.  I can change it back, or make it something else.

I'd much rather create content than fine-tune theme elements.  I'm concerned that changing one element will lead to needing to change all of them.  Wikia has a fairly straight forward theme designer.  I don't have any problem giving you admin access if you want to play with it.  Are you comfortable with CSS?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

No, I don't want to.

BTW You know where the pattern come from. Don't you like to make the wiki site have something in common with MB's homepage? When I first saw the wiki page, I liked your choice. But, not any more.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I changed it back to a dark background.  I do like the idea of the wiki having a common theme with this site, which is why I bothered to create that background in the first place.  But Lakrits is right, it was very wavy, and accessibility is more important than style, in my opinion.

What color did you prefer on the skins page?  If you definitely want the brown, I will write that into the sitewide CSS file.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Personally I don't like the current look, but I won't comment about the color choice any more.

But now I understand what you said about the wavy pattern, though. I didn't understand why there's accessibility issue here first.

Keep up the good work!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Okay.  Any time you want to mess around with the theme, the invitation is open.

I'm looking into another way to use the honeycomb pattern - maybe as a graphic header where "MusicBee Wiki" is now.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

lnminente

I think is better treating the style of the wiki like a skin of only one person, we making suggestions but leaving for you the decission Scampbll. The scheme needs some logical design which can be better not being edited by us.

For me, the logic is using the same or near tones for all the big areas. It can be all grey dark colors or clear colors like in this forum. Nothing which calls our attention. And reserving the color uniform tones only for small and clickable areas, and that would call our attention when looking for clickable elements.

How it is now, the background is blue and border is yellow, my vote goes for a grey background nearer or same than the general background, and a lighter grey border. Maintaining the style with the other boxes, and not calling our attention something which is in front of our eyes.

Another thing which i think could be an improvement, and from my experience skinning is i think we are dark side or clear side guys. So a button to switching between both sides could be welcomed. But i'm not asking for it, if someone likes the idea just comment here
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:29:29 PM by lnminente

Lakrits

@Lakrits: are you referring to the whole site background?

The brown is definitely better, although it's still pretty strong on... color.  Think lower saturation.

No, just the wavy, metallic, 3D-ish background in the Skins section.
When you can't filter (in this case) visual input, a background with
too much "activity" makes your eyes unable to focus on the actual
content. I guess it's comparable to trying to have a serious conversation
in a very busy and load nightclub. The surroundings take too much of
your concentration.

Lakrits

[Edit: it seems to be gone now. Thanks. :)]
Spikar'u'nte inglish? Föredrar du helt enkelt svenska?

Du hittar svenska språkfiler i den här tråden.
---
Non loqueris lingua Anglorum? Grammaticus fastuosus Oxbrigiae es?

In hoc filum documenta linguae Latinae nancisceris.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No, just the wavy, metallic, 3D-ish background in the Skins section.

Huh.  I'm not sure what you were experiencing, since the background on that page should have been the same as the rest of the site.  But I'm glad it's fixed.  I'll try putting the honeycomb pattern back, then.

Actually, one more question: where on the page was this background?  Around the edges?  Because I still can't get anything but the honeycomb pattern from "wavy, metallic, 3dish".  So there would have been skin boxes, on top of flat gray background, on top of wavy background that goes to the edges of the window.  Does that sound right?
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:06:56 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)