Author Topic: Editing tags without modifying the files  (Read 17532 times)

stf

Is there any way of the editing the tags without file modification like in Media Monkey?

Zak

• Global Moderator
If you mean without updating the file's last modified timestamp, the option is in Preferences > Tags (1), near the top.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you don't want to save the tags to the files at all, I don't think there's currently a way.  You can choose not to save ratings to the files, but that's it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

beeing good

I guess you might need this if you're part of a private tracker such as what.cd because if the tags get changed then the files won't seed properly anymore but as scampbll said I don't think there is a way.

stf

That´s exactly what I meant. I can´t seed the files properly with a torrent client after changing tags. Is there any plan to implement something like this?
Media Monkey does it , but apart from that is a crappy program. Foobar has a plug in for that. I think it saves all the tag data as external database.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Why not just copy the files?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

lnminente

I thought there was an option for that before. Maybe in the plugin from Boroda74?
A workaround for this could running MB inside Sandboxie, so you would have only the modified files twice, being the ones shared untouched.

Anyway the really revolutionary good solution for this would be asking to the utorrent developers to treat the audiofiles by the checksum of their audio stream, and not by the checksum of the full file as the song files are only containers.

stf

Why not just copy the files?

Disk space. This is actually what everybody is doing on the private trackers, but is it really the best solution?

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Yes it is the best solution. I bought a 2TB drive off of ebay for less than £100. I have all my seeding files separated into Lossless and lossy (FLAC vs MP3 mainly) then I have another folder that is my library where by I have each folder named in a nice OCD way and I can tag till my hearts content and everyone's happy
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

lnminente

It's time to backup my files and i just remembered this wish, and how useful it could be when doing the backup. Instead of copying a full file with only 30 chars changed, if we could keep the file untouched and save the changed tags in a database having the posibility of manually applying all the changes done to the files, we could do backups more frecuently copying only that database of changed tags.

MeeMeeMee

(first post - I actually registered to make it)
I recently discovered MusicBee, D/L it and it seems great... except for this one missing feature.
Yup, you guessed it: Please allow modifying tags without changing the media files by only making changes to the MusicBee's data-base.

That's the reason I just can't switch to MusicBee from MediaMonkey.

Is there any interest in among the developer(s) to implement this feature?
MusicBee 3.5.8516 / Windows 10 (64-bit) / Intel i5-3470 / 8GB RAM
Media on NAS (CIFS share)
20K+ tracks, predominantly FLAC ; converted to mp3 (lame -V 0) when synced to a Cowon D2+
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Get the latest patch: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/

Steven

• Administrator
thats done for the next 2.1 update and set in the Tags(1) preferences

MeeMeeMee

thats done for the next 2.1 update and set in the Tags(1) preferences
Man, I'm totally stoked. Looking forward for the next beta build/version.
20K+ tracks, predominantly FLAC ; converted to mp3 (lame -V 0) when synced to a Cowon D2+
________________________________________________________________________________________________

MeeMeeMee

My smart-alec-y wish is that the next 2.1 beta will be out already.