Author Topic: Check for updates menu item  (Read 4602 times)

Will Pittenger

Why doesn't MusicBee have a command to check for updates now?  I expected it to either have it has a menu item or a button inside Help/About.  I know it can check for updates on start up and I have it set that way, but when it runs for days or even weeks at a time, that is very rarely triggered.
Will Pittenger

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I know it can check for updates on start up and I have it set that way, but when it runs for days or even weeks at a time, that is very rarely triggered.

The update checker only looks for stable released versions, and while you can have 2, 3,  or more alpha updates a week, stable releases are much further apart.

If you want the very latest untested alpha versions, you have to keep looking on the forum, or you can go to http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8111.0, the beta update page, and select notify. You will then get an email anytime Steven updates the 2.1 beta post.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Will Pittenger

Not what I suggested.  I was talking about something to check for stable releases now.  Generally, I restart MusicBee only after a reboot.  And of course, I want those to be as rare as possible.
Will Pittenger

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
My apologies. I misinterpreted the line I quoted as you wondering why the event was rarely triggered rather than you having MB running for days or even weeks at a time.

You might consider wording your wish better next time.
"I'd like a "Check Now" for updates button added as MusicBee only checks automatically on startup. I have MB running most of the time and rarely restart" would have saved us this conversation.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

lnminente

A beta channel would be very welcome here for automatically installing the latest patch :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A beta channel would be very welcome here for automatically installing the latest patch :)

+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
If it was a button, the problem you'd have now is that 99% of the time it wouldn't do anything as "official" updates are six months or more apart.
On the other hand, if it was made to also check for beta versions you'd be prompted to update a few times a week, which I suspect most people would find very annoying.
Bee excellent to each other...

Will Pittenger

Well, my point was that I might not find out about a new release until weeks after it comes out.
Will Pittenger

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
It's not all that hard to check the forums once a week or so though is it?
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here