Author Topic: I wish I was able to have "locate in [...]" easier available  (Read 18496 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
-1 from me.  :)

I think it's logical to have all the 'Find' and 'Locate' queries grouped together under 'Search..'
Whether 'Locate in ...' is in the primary level or secondary level doesn't change the number of clicks required to access it.
One right-click to open the menu, then all other sub-menus open on mouse-over
Second click for selection.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

phred

• Global Moderator
-1 also.

Whether 'Locate in ...' is in the primary level or secondary level doesn't change the number of clicks required to access it.
Exactly!  And, it reduces the clutter of the first level.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
i wont be changing anything with this.
This function can be assigned to a hotkey

mbuser

i wont be changing anything with this.
This function can be assigned to a hotkey

thanks for answering. unfortunately i can't use a hotkey and i would like to be able to use the mouse.
can you provide a logic argument or you won't change just because you are the boss and that's how it must be because doh, you are in the first place designing it fit to your own like? *and* two hero moderators downvoted and hero moderators weight more than simple users votes?

hiccup

Hey mbuser, sorry, I'm not Steven.
But I got to get this of my chest:

Why do you keep wining for getting what you want, and even trying to call Steven to a stand?
To be factual, there have been only a few supporters for your wish, and (contrary to your claim) more than two people that opposed to your wish.

What you don't seem to get:

- The majority of forum members here have the decency to refrain from commenting negatively on wishes they personally don't care for or maybe even dislike. They trust Steven to make his own smart decision on the content and arguments of the proponents, and of course the time he is willing and able to invest in it.

- Every wish that would have to be fulfilled, be it small or big, helping a few or many, costs Steven valuable time and effort, and has consequences. There are no freebies in that area, even though no one has to pay for his wonderful work.

And on a more personal note:

These are a few of your statements:

- but itunes is slow on windows and i don't like how it sounds
- other players are much worse at handling this (then iTunes)
- from usability point of view mb is terrible, from the way of sizing columns to feature naming options and so on, including handling objects
- for me it's basically the least worse player that can decently play music in random mode. even if i use it rarely
- i feel like banging my head against the train every time i have to perform clicks in it's user interface. and i've used all kinds of software since as back as 1988
- I do mind when i have to wait for the computer do perform what i have asked it to do, especially when I've spent a good amount of money on hardware that meets my requirements and expectations.
- unlike the majority, i *do* perceive those extra miliseconds when mb is is sleeping and dreaming insead of instantly opening of submenu
- and am really annoyed at it, even if overall i lose much more time of my life complaining about it.

Also, you say "unfortunately i can't use a hotkey".
Why? Maybe you have a disability?
Oh no, I see, you told us before, that's Bill Gates fault, because he got us so used to the mouse.

I think Steven is wise and mature enough to look past this negative and childish wining, but for me your attitude is enough to remember to ignore 'mbuser' from now on.

phred

• Global Moderator
And on a more personal note:

These are a few of your statements:

- but itunes is slow on windows and i don't like how it sounds
- other players are much worse at handling this (then iTunes)
- from usability point of view mb is terrible, from the way of sizing columns to feature naming options and so on, including handling objects
- for me it's basically the least worse player that can decently play music in random mode. even if i use it rarely
- i feel like banging my head against the train every time i have to perform clicks in it's user interface. and i've used all kinds of software since as back as 1988
- I do mind when i have to wait for the computer do perform what i have asked it to do, especially when I've spent a good amount of money on hardware that meets my requirements and expectations.
- unlike the majority, i *do* perceive those extra miliseconds when mb is is sleeping and dreaming insead of instantly opening of submenu
- and am really annoyed at it, even if overall i lose much more time of my life complaining about it.
Thank you hiccup, for saying what I've been thinking for the past few days.

@mbuser - you're making more enemies here than friends.  And calling Steven out not only won't go over well with most of us users, it's certainly not a way to get him to do anything for you.  It's his software and he can choose to do what he wants with it without having to explain why.
As for the points that hiccup noted from your previous comments on this thread, it really sounds like you don't like MusicBee.  So why don't you move on?

I think Steven is wise and mature enough to look past this negative and childish wining, but for me your attitude is enough to remember to ignore 'mbuser' from now on.
+1
Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:36:54 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Thank you hiccup, for saying what I've been thinking for the past few days.

Thnx phred,
I don't really like to post negative and non-contributing comments to this forum, but I was loudly playing Joe Cocker's 'I'm in a Dangerous Mood' (R.I.P) and couldn't refrain myself ;-)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Reluctant to add to this debate, but as the same questions are still being asked...

unfortunately i can't use a hotkey and i would like to be able to use the mouse.
There is currently nothing preventing you from using a mouse. You're literally now complaining about how many milliseconds it takes, demonstrating a level of OCD which no amount of interface tinkering is going to address.

can you provide a logic argument or you won't change just because you are the boss and that's how it must be because doh, you are in the first place designing it fit to your own like?
I'm not Steven either, but you've already provided the logical reason yourself:

play more/ list/ send to / rating - they all MAKE SENSE to be under a submenu, but search does not!

It does make sense for related functions to be grouped together in a sub-menu, and - personal prejudice notwithstanding - there's no reason that shouldn't include search functions. If some search commands were on the top level of the context menu in previous versions of Musicbee I'd assume it's because there were only one or two and they were moved when enough search functions were added to warrant their own menu. That's proper UI design used in every program, not something done only in MusicBee on a whim.

If you're still not convinced, this is from Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and I can assure you they've spent a lot more time and money studying this stuff than you, me, Steven or anyone else on this forum:

Look for opportunities to consolidate related menu items. If a menu repeats a term more than twice, consider dedicating a separate menu (or submenu) to the term. For example, if you need commands like Show Info, Show Colors, Show Layers, Show Toolbox, and so on, you could create a Show menu or a Show item that includes a submenu.

In general, avoid creating very long menus. Long menus are difficult for users to scan and can be overwhelming. If you find that there are too many items in a single menu, try redistributing them; you might find that some of the items fit more naturally in other menus or that you need to create a new menu. You can also consider creating submenus for some related sets of items, but this isn’t appropriate in all cases.

*and* two hero moderators downvoted and hero moderators weight more than simple users votes?
There's no such thing as a hero moderator. A handful of long-time forum members were made moderators solely to delete spam posts:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7636.0

It doesn't add any extra credibility or weight to any suggestions or comments and it's churlish to suggest otherwise.
Bee excellent to each other...

mbuser

popular media players have item to open location in the main menu. - even some older musicbee had it! (don't remember which one)

windows media player http://i.imgur.com/eLOvcqe.png
itunes http://i.imgur.com/LOFSiz5.png

musicbee: http://i.imgur.com/hWkQ9YZ.png

i never used "rating", "send to", "list" and "play more". instead i use items under 'search' all the time. there is enough vertical space to promote any sub-menu into the main menu, from an option in the settings. if mb was opensource one could make such small modifications to fit their usage pattern :(

mbuser

Just curious, how old are you?

just for your curiosity, old enough to remember the joy of drawing some lines on screen in BASIC on Z80 with 48Kb of ram, 5 1/4 inch floppies, 512Kb RAM 8086 boxes with green-on-black 12-inch displays, transition from a.out to ELF in linux distributions and the floppy upgrade from windows 3.11 for workgroups to windows '95. experienced enough to know that the $subject change takes very little effort from the author and frustrated enough knowing that nobody else can revert this change back to the way it originally was because the source code is closed.