Author Topic: I wish I was able to have "locate in [...]" easier available  (Read 18881 times)

Anti

In my opinion the six find/locate options are fine where they are, and I don't really like the idea of customisable menus.
I do like the idea of labelling 'Find/Locate...' rather than 'Search...' though.

mbuser

dear admin/author,
please reconsider this.
some version ago all these options were readily available in the context menu.
it is very annoying to obtain the result with too many clicks as it is now.
thanks.

phred

• Global Moderator
I find it odd that you feel two clicks is too many. 
And a previous suggestion (set up a hotkey) isn't acceptable to you even though you can get what you want with one click.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

mbuser

I find it odd that you feel two clicks is too many. 
And a previous suggestion (set up a hotkey) isn't acceptable to you even though you can get what you want with one click.

actually, I want/need the ENTIRE "search" submenu readily available in the context menu, not just "locate in explorer". yes, this is easier and it is done by lots of other software, it's not just me!
I would like to see the logic to NOT have this available, either as an option or as a default. screen size? i don't think so, everyone has lots of pixels on screen these days. i see this as a little overorganization.

Zak

• Global Moderator

mbuser

Need?  ???

yes. the context menu opens with its upper left corner close to where the mouse is. then i have to move the mouse down to "search" , then i have to wait to open for a submenu that ignores the windows start menu "menushowdelay" setting (that i set to 50ms from the long-waiting default of 400) and opens lots of miliseconds later, then manage to finally click the desired locate/find submenu. every time i perform this procedure, a brown hair in my head turns white at the root.

i find this procedure unnecessary and all the search submenu could fit into the context menu. there is no justification to have this seaparate unless you're over-organizing things a bit.

play more/ list/ send to / rating - they all MAKE SENSE to be under a submenu, but search does not!

just out of curiosity - did ANYONE complain when search was directly available in the context menu? because it was there in some older version.
Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:27:34 PM by mbuser

hiccup

...  and opens lots of miliseconds later ...
... every time i perform this procedure, a brown hair in my head turns white at the root ...

The sense of humor is there, but yet I am starting to get a little bit worried about you after this matter occupying you for more than two years now.

mbuser

...  and opens lots of miliseconds later ...
... every time i perform this procedure, a brown hair in my head turns white at the root ...

The sense of humor is there, but yet I am starting to get a little bit worried about you after this matter occupying you for more than two years now.

I use mb in only one mode: auto dj. i like to not know what's the next song (with the exception of recently fixed bug of showing upcoming N songs), very much like i like fm radio.
(I discovered this feature once upon a time in itunes, but itunes is slow on windows and i don't like how it sounds; other players are much worse at handling this)
despite doing good job, from usability point of view mb is terrible, from the way of sizing columns to feature naming options and so on, including handling objects (like now playing items, for example)
to be honest, for me it's basically the least worse player that can decently play music in random mode. even if i use it rarely, i feel like banging my head against the train every time i have to perform clicks in it's user interface. and i've used all kinds of software since as back as 1988 (well not quite was a mouse then, maybe 1994 was the first mouse encounter).

and yes, I do mind when i have to wait for the computer do perform what i have asked it to do, especially when I've spent a good amount of money on hardware that meets my requirements and expectations.
unlike the majority, i *do* perceive those extra miliseconds when mb is is sleeping and dreaming insead of instantly opening of submenu and am really annoyed at it, even if overall i lose much more time of my life complaining about it.
Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:42:34 AM by mbuser

Pingaware

despite doing good job, from usability point of view mb is terrible, from the way of sizing columns to feature naming options and so on, including handling objects (like now playing items, for example)

Can I have some more examples please? I personally think MB is very good from a usability point of view - I'd be interested in hearing where you think it falls down and why and how to improve it (just saying something is bad is hardly much help).
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

phred

• Global Moderator
unlike the majority, i *do* perceive those extra miliseconds when mb is is sleeping and dreaming insead of instantly opening of submenu and am really annoyed at it, even if overall i lose much more time of my life complaining about it.
I'm curious - you started this thread three years ago.  Have you continued to use MB during that time?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

mbuser

Steven.

This thread is getting offtopic replies.
I've said all I could and bring all possible arguments. If you want to do this, that would make mb more perfect.

At some point, feature A transformed into feature B.

Later I am complaining about this change. Has someone cheered the change?
From a statistical point of view, has the change from A to B beneficial to the userbase, given the fact that statistically, there are more users complaining about the change (1) than people asking for the change (0)? (oh, it's not just me, i see three more other users +1'ing the thread)
Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:21:26 PM by mbuser