Author Topic: I wish I was able to have "locate in [...]" easier available  (Read 18495 times)

mbuser

now it is hidden under an annoying second click of "search" when right clicking a song.
similar software (picasa, windows media player, etc) have "locate in explorer" available right in the context menu.
many thanks.

Iasc

I'm pretty sure you can create a toolbar button for that so that would make it one click away.

mbuser

ideally all search submenu would be nice to fit into the first level right click menu. or at least make it configurable so some users can have it one way or another.

having a toolbar button is quite awkward, since already proven, tested software have gone to what i've described.

lnminente

Absolutely +1 i feel as a standard. The same would be welcome for elements in the left panel

mbuser

it is difficult to use a hotkey or a custom button. billy gates got us so used into right click that now is impossible to get rid of this right click contextual menu habit. everywhere you have a right click contextual menu. it just does not work, especially for dinosaurs like me who grew up with 8086 and msdos 3.30.
hell, even some older mb version had everything in the first level context menu. it probably got bigger and maybe that was the reason for cascading second levels. please revert this, Steven! :)

lnminente

I was thinking this moning in maybe asking for a secundary SHIFT+Right click menu like in windows explorer. It could show the locate in functions and send to external apps

Zak

• Global Moderator

it is difficult to use a hotkey or a custom button.
Um... how are either of these things more "difficult" than a right-click context menu item? The latter requires one mouse-click instead of two and the former requires none at all! ???

hell, even some older mb version had everything in the first level context menu. it probably got bigger and maybe that was the reason for cascading second levels.
Every option can't appear in the top-level menu! The reason sub-menus exist is to have logically relevant functions grouped together, and if you look at that context menu, you'll see the top-level item is "Search..." and below that are four Search functions. This is logical.

Your persistence is... er... noteworthy, but it makes absolutely zero UI design sense to move one of those items on a whim, especially when the same feature can be assigned to a toolbar button or hotkey...

I was thinking this moning in maybe asking for a secundary SHIFT+Right click menu like in windows explorer. It could show the locate in functions and send to external apps
If you're going to be pressing the Shift key anyway, you could just press the hotkey you've assigned to the function you want.  :P
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Largely unrelated to the original request, but I do wish that instead of "Search" the submenu said "Find"
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

lnminente

Better an example of its importance:
-Go to windows explorer
-From c:\ do a search for *.exe so the situation would be something similar like a "database explorer" like Musicbee
-Right click any of the results. For easier localization the last item is Properties, used a lot of times. And just over it is "Open folder" also used a lot. And very useful for people like me which use path\filename as a fail safe tag back-up.

By the way i miss a properties item as the last item for showing file details as bitrate, modification date, etc, it could show the tag inspector with focus in the properties tab, and the edit item could be removed.

Largely unrelated to the original request, but I do wish that instead of "Search" the submenu said "Find"
Locate/Find, and a submenu with the three locate items first, and the find items after them would work well for me :)
Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:00:54 PM by lnminente

mbuser

Every option can't appear in the top-level menu!

I am not asking to change the DEFAULTS and given the strong personality of author I don't even want to think about asking changing defaults.
IMHO the defaults should be a 20% set of functions to make happy 80% of users.
I am just asking to provide this as an OPTION instead, so the rest of 20% of users be able to change the defaults into something that suits their needs ;)

Sorry for CAPS. it is intented to be used as underline but I can't seem to figure out how to underline/bold text on the forum.