Author Topic: library search box - needs flashing cursor  (Read 6630 times)

ziffel

Hi. This is just a minor thing, but requesting that the search box show some indication that it is an active field. Perhaps a slight color change and/or a flashing cursor.

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I see a flashing cursor in the search box - you guys don't?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm ... methinks it may be skin related.  I've been using Blinghound's AeroBee almost exclusively since he released it.  Now, after checking some other skins, I do indeed see the flashing cursor.  But it is not present in the AeroBee skin.

Taking a quick look at the xml for AeroBee, I see three elements that contain the word "SearchBox."
Controls.SearchBox.Default"
Controls.SearchBox.Lowlight
Controls.SearchBoxSplitter

Would one of these be for the flashing cursor?  I took a look at another skin that -has- the cursor flashing (A Brighter Bee) and it only has the Controls.SearchBoxSplitter element.  

Not being all that familiar with the creation/modification of skins, I'm not sure what these elements actually control and if one of them is responsible for what ziffel and I (and probably others) are experiencing.

FWIW, Splitter only has a background code, while the other two have both background and foreground.  And the default also has "bdr" but I'm not sure what that represents.

So - does anyone have a suggestion of what needs to be changed to get the search box cursor to appear and flash?
Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:14:44 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

ziffel

good find, phred. You are right, Aerobee. that's the skin I'm using as well.

phred

• Global Moderator
Being a Global Mod, Blinghound is on the forums frequently, but it's quite possible he'd miss this topic given the subject.  So I sent him a PM alerting him to this issue/thread.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Blinghound

I'll be attempting to update all of my skins (with the possible exception of iBee, because beeTunes is superior in every way) either today or tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

P.S. is the cursor completely invisible, or just very hard see? Because I can see the cursor, but it could be down to monitor differences.

phred

• Global Moderator
@Blinghound - As I said, I've been using the skin for almost a year and never noticed the cursor.  After your query today, I squinted my eyes really tight and moved MB to my secondary monitor and I can faintly see the flashing cursor.  It seems to have a reddish color, but it's so dark that it's barely visible.  Looking at how some of the other (real) dark skins handle this, most that have a dark bg for the search box have a white cursor.  Which, IMO, would work well there, since the criteria drop-down indicator is also white.  

Thanks in advance for your help.  I've used AeroBee this long without the cursor, so if it takes you more than the weekend to get it fixed, I can live with it.

There's another (very) minor issue in the search box that appears no matter what skin is used.   So I'll post it in the bug report forum.  

Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:24:37 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Blinghound

Guys, I've had a play around with it, and it seems the part of the element in bold here,

'<element id="Controls.SearchBox.Default" bg="220,220,220" fg="29,87,129" bdr="153,169,191" />'

seems to control both the background colour, and consequentially, the cursor colour too. I think it may automatically choose the 'opposite' colour in order to attempt to create contrast? Maybe Steven can help?

I'm going to try to update all of my skins in the next week or two - maybe create bitmap versions of AeroBee.

Temporarily, I've just changed the search, and URL boxes as depicted below.

Download on the AeroBee page

http://www.getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=2421.0

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks Blinghound.  I can see the flashing cursor how.  Appreciate your help and look forward to your further updates.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki