Author Topic: Imrove search behaviour  (Read 4650 times)

ma_t14

I have one problem with the way Musicbee acts when you start typing.

The current behaviour seems to be that it starts writing in the search field located in the top right-hand corner. That would not be that much of a problem for me if it didn't modify the now playing list when you click on search result. I want my now playing list to keep all the library tracks not just the search result.

One way is to make an option that lets the user chose how the now playing list acts.

The other way and the one I prefer the most is to use the same behaviour that itunes and winamp used the last time I checked (so long long ago).

It basically acts like windows explorer, you start typing and it jumps to the track starting with the letters you typed. There's a slight difference in what explorer does in that it is more advanced. You sort by artist and start typing it jumps to the track with that artist, you sort by title it jumps to the corresponding track with that title and the same goes for every field. With this method you will just use the search field when you need something more specific concerning multiple fields (but again even in this case I would like an option to force the now playing list to keep all library tracks)

A mix of both methods would be ideal and offer much more flexibility. 8)
Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:00:01 PM by ma_t14

Steven

• Administrator
i am guessing you are referring to the now playing list in the main panel in which case i understand what you mean. But just in case you werent aware, when you view the now playing list in the right panel just press Alt-F (or Go-to>Find Track) and a search box is displayed which behaves how i think you would want

ma_t14

I know about this feature. The problem is even if you press alt + F and start typing text is being written in the music library instead.

Anyway I think that it would be better and faster to use the "jump to" behaviour in the music library. I don't say to make this behaviour defaut just provide it as an alternative way to navigate quickly though the library.

Steven

• Administrator
the alt-F find search should work if the focus is in the now playing panel on the right and you start typing, but i agree the behaviour for the now playing list in the main panel should have the behaviour you describe.

I should also mention that if you have the A-Z jumplist displayed as a button (its displayed in the left header column of the file list), then you can perform a find operation in the main panel as you want (but use the latest fix version i posted on the bug report you notified tonight)
Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:49:51 PM by Steven

ma_t14

So are there any plans to implement the search behaviour I suggested in the future ???

Steven

• Administrator
yes - infact it was done a couple of releases ago.
If you have the now playing list open in the main panel and type/ enter it jumps to the first match rather than filtering

ma_t14

Why won't the same apply for everywhere not just the now playing panel?