Author Topic: Default Tweak  (Read 25185 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
With Intel graphics I think you have to add the resolution as a custom size before it can be saved.
Also, adjusting the scaling can correct overscan in some of the newer Intel cards
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

Assuming the plasma tv is full-hd 1920x1080 (or is it hd-ready 1280x720?), I find it weird that you would have to work with 'custom resolutions'.
Maybe there is a discrepancy in refresh rate? 50Hz vs. 60Hz.? (well hidden in Intel drivers I believe)

But it seems you are still a bit in the dark if it is the tv or the laptop doing the overscan?
Perhaps connect the laptop to another tv, or another laptop to the tv to try and clear that up first?

Bee-liever

@ hiccup
It's always the TV.
As the plasma is an older model with no adjustment for overscan, you have to play around with the resolutions to shrink it a bit to get all of the image on the screen.
Hence the need for a custom resolution.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Lol, this discussion may need to be moved to the "Beyond MusicBee" section.

Not sure, but when I set the "custom resolution" to 1920x1080, it would save.  It was only when I messed with the overscan adjustment that it wouldn't save.

I guess I can't say for sure if it's the TV or the graphics card, but the TV seems more likely.  I don't really have a good way to test with others right now, and frankly at this point adjusting the theater mode seems like less of a headache.  There is really definitely no overscan setting on the TV; I have looked everywhere suggested online for one and tried every single setting by hand just in case.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

@ hiccup
It's always the TV.
As the plasma is an older model with no adjustment for overscan, you have to play around with the resolutions to shrink it a bit to get all of the image on the screen.
Hence the need for a custom resolution.

No it is not always the TV.
I myself had an HTPC with a slightly older graphics card. On my full-hd plasma, with a clean install of videodrivers, the Ati graphics drivers by default activated overscan when it thought it was connected to a TV. And that setting was kind of hidden too. It took me a while also to find that out.

Any plasma/lcd tv has a fixed resolution display, and refresh rates it can accommodate.
So if you can find a table with those resolutions and refresh rates, certainly with contemporary graphics card it should be possible to set exactly that resolution an refresh rate.

Still no guarantees, since technology will always be a b****, but a good stating point would be to get the facts on these resolutions and refresh rates.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I appreciate the suggestions and technical know-how, but guys. :) I've already spent some hours on this, and adjusting the theater mode is a solution I can implement right now.  There's nothing else I use that TV for; it's at the venue we use for our dance night.  So I'm going to go that route for now, and I'll keep searching for a technical solution as I have time.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

I've already spent some hours on this, and adjusting the theater mode is a solution I can implement right now.  There's nothing else I use that TV for; it's at the venue we use for our dance night.  So I'm going to go that route for now, and I'll keep searching for a technical solution as I have time.

I thought you could get it to work with the adjustments on the Intel card but couldn't get those changes to save.  The custom settings should be the technical solution :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I thought you could get it to work with the adjustments on the Intel card but couldn't get those changes to save.  The custom settings should be the technical solution :)

No, I tried entering the adjustments but it wouldn't apply them because they were "invalid".  I'll look into that more (and the NVIDIA card) but right now.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For the record, I got this about done but lost my work when I reinstalled windows the next day (just poor memory on my part).

Anyway, I realized there was a much simpler solution.  Now I'm using the compact player, sized to the visible part of the screen.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Uptown

A million thanks! Made an account just to thank you, NOW MB is officially better than any other music player because of you! :)