Author Topic: UPNP  (Read 121069 times)

poictesme

;D  THANK YOU SIR   ;D

Seriously, thank you.
I am dangling the carrot of a second donation in front of your tired but wise eyes,
and I strongly urge everybody else who's been pestering you about this issue to
donate to the cause.

I'd be push-streaming to a Pi running raspbmc,
so afaic no need for MB to act as a client.

MichaelP

Very nice, that MB is going DLNA / UPNP  :)

The most important feature for MB is (I think) the distribution of music to clients, witch follows strictly the UPNP / DLNA standard.
So, - I think -Squeezeboxes are outside - good clients, but proprietary and nearly dead in support (I  donĀ“t understand Logitech)

For me, the choice is using High-End Fidelity Equipment and different destinations, i.E. the Network Receiver in Living Room and his speakers  :P
My Library is on a Synology NAS, MB has great features to find, sort and visualize all my music, and now I hope of high Level sound output from Yamaha....  :D :D :D

Good luck und success for implementation and excuse my bad English  :(

Greetings from Monheim, Germany

Michael

vzell

+1  (same setup, but latest Pioneer VXS-924 AV Receiver)

blogonat

i'm so happy about it also, and can be beta testing if needed,
my setup :

RECEIVERS
Denon AVR 3311 with upnp/ariplay capacities
Freebox (internet box) with dlna capacity
Xbox360 / PS3 / PS4 / Wii  :D

SERVER
Musicbee running on windows7 64
REMOTE
Android retune (or musicbeeremote)

and of course, the magic would be to send msuci for MB server to the avr with my android as a remote ;)

Just can't wait for it
Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:07:24 AM by blogonat

Steven

• Administrator
just an update on this. I have completed the Upnp server so that Upnp client applications/ renderers can query and navigate the musicbee library (the known issues i am aware of are using MB from an Xbox or PS3 because they use non-standard protocols and i will need the help of testers for that).

To play to devices I also need to implement a controller. That is in progress but its not straight-forward to implement and according to the developer of the foobar upnp plugin there are a lot of quirks and bugs in upnp rendering devices that will need to be worked around.
Its taking me much longer than i was planning so i am going to put this on hold, probably for a few weeks, and then resume again.

I do have a question - how important is gapless playback when outputing to a Upnp device? I gather very few devices support it natively but it might be possible to implement on the musicbee side. I expect most other applications would have a 0.5/1 second gap between each track - is that true?
Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:20:23 PM by Steven

blogonat

i do have ps3 + xbox360, so i can test them for you (even if i don't expect to use them as ragulars reveivers for musicbee)
for me, gapless is a great option, but i can deal without it. All the point for me would be to can access to MB library with with android phone/tab as a remote (with a way to order by recently added - retune don't do that... to bad) and send the audio to my avr (actually with airfoil)
I think with your upnp plugin for MB, i can to it directly bubbleupnp on my android phone, seen MB as a upnp server.
good luck with the dev
Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:04:19 PM by blogonat

donjulien

I just deleted a tl;dr post. Let me summarize.

Bravo Steve, for going for the DLNA beast! A wise programmer like you could do for DLNA what you've done for desktop media. And that's good. I imagine a new round of excellent reviews and happy users coming your way.

BUT if you find it easier/better to develop native controllers and renderers, go for it. I imagine the burden to comply with DLNA (done right) is quite heavy.

If you can pull it with
+ renderers and control points in Windows, Android and iOS
+ good multi-room sync (Squeezebox is like 85% there; they claim Sonos is 100%; haven't checked).
+ I'm afraid yes: gapless and even cross-fade are important. I know they're tricky.
You've got me. Even as a customer if you (and/or any other enthusiast who decides to join) decide to charge. My long loved Squeezebox would be gone. I'm afraid support for it dies before a worthy replacement is here.

If DLNA is the way, so be it; it's good to comply with industry standards. But for one, I want a solid audio platform first. Audio, I insist. In my experience, audio and video are 2 different masters, and one cannot serve 2 masters well. Plex is doing the trick in an elegant way for me video-wise.

Whichever way you want to do it, you'll do it well; your fame (and code) precedes you.

Steven

• Administrator
this should be ready in the next couple of days - its done now but i want to give it some more solid testing before making it available.
As mentioned it supports playback to UPnP devices and allows UPnP renderers to browse and play from the MusicBee library and playlists.
It doesnt act as a UPnP renderer as I dont see the need for that but if someone comes up with a good reason i will consider it.

hiccup

Just thinking, would that be maybe be convenient if you would have 2 pc's in your network, both running MusicBee, and then setting up one as 'master', and the other one as 'slave'?
I can imagine having use for that.

Friday

Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but is what you're talking about something that would allow me to use an app on my Android device to play music stored on my PC?  I recently switched back to MediaMonkey from MusicBee to do this.  MediaMonkey is great, but I like MusicBee better.

Zak

• Global Moderator
...is what you're talking about something that would allow me to use an app on my Android device to play music stored on my PC?
Yes, but the Android app you use for playback would also need to support it.
Bee excellent to each other...

blogonat

...is what you're talking about something that would allow me to use an app on my Android device to play music stored on my PC?
Yes, but the Android app you use for playback would also need to support it.

Have something in mind about this app Zak ? Bubble upnp ?
Great job on this, can't wait to test it...

Zak

• Global Moderator
BubbleUPnP will do the job. The built-in Music app on my Galaxy S4 also connects to UPnP sources. At least I think it's built in app - I've tried so many I'm not sure. :/

Annoyingly, the best looking players (GoneMAD, PowerAmp...) don't support playback from UPnP, so I think it will be a trade off between convenience and appearance/features for the foreseeable future. What might suffice - if it exists - is an app that lets you select from a networked source and passes the file(s) to another app to play it.

blogonat

BubbleUPnP will do the job. The built-in Music app on my Galaxy S4 also connects to UPnP sources. At least I think it's built in app - I've tried so many I'm not sure. :/

Annoyingly, the best looking players (GoneMAD, PowerAmp...) don't support playback from UPnP, so I think it will be a trade off between convenience and appearance/features for the foreseeable future. What might suffice - if it exists - is an app that lets you select from a networked source and passes the file(s) to another app to play it.

ok thanks,
isn't "air audio" able to do that ? Not sure at all and can't test it right now.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Based on its description, AirAudio does the opposite. It streams the music from your Android device to another UPnP receiver, be it a console, AV receiver, television etc.