Author Topic: UPNP  (Read 118433 times)

GHammer

I'd like to see a UPNP server, it could/should be a plugin or addon as some would be interested some would not.
There are getting to be lots of devices like the WD HD TV Live! around now so I think it would be a good addition.

Something like foo_upnp, but easier to use.

Thanks for listening.

Steven

• Administrator
i imagine there are quite a few +1's out there!
I have started reading up about UPNP but it wont be a trivial task for me as i dont have any experience with this yet. I dont expect i will be able to something until a few months

IMGrant

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I think UPnP in MusicBee would be more useful as a client ('control point' and/or 'renderer') rather than a server. Like the 'Play To' feature in Windows Media Player or AirPlay in iTunes, it would be great to be able to easily direct the output from MusicBee to my DLNA/UPnP players at the click of a button.

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Doesn't the subsonic thing render this obsolete now?
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

IMGrant

Just had to look it (subsonic) up, but I don't think so - subsonic sounds like a server of some sort? DLNA/UPnP Renderer duplicates it in some ways maybe, but with Control Point functionality you would be able to use MusicBee to push audio (from wherever, local library, DLNA/UPnP server) to another Renderer, e.g. Linn DS, Naim players, and also Squeezeboxes (uses a proprietary system but there are ways to make them act as UPnP Renderers) and maybe Sonos (dunno about that, no first hand experience there).

Squeezeboxes (with the 'Whitebear' bridge to make them appear as DLNA players) is my setup - the Squeezebox Server web UI is slow, MusicBee is much better but there's no current way for them to talk to each other.

p-mob

There are a lot of fine UPNP servers out there.
TVersity, Twonkymedia. Only to tell two of them. They can be run as service and work very good. So why another one?
MusicBee ROCKS!

IMGrant

This is my point - not a UPnP *server*, but a *client* (specifically a Control Point and possibly Renderer in DLNA-speak).

p-mob

A renderer would be nice, but no "must have".
If You have access to UPnP you can use a file share in the same network too.
So, no need for a UPnP client in Musicbee.
Just my 2 cents...
MusicBee ROCKS!

Steven

• Administrator
IMGrant, does pushing the sound over the connection to the client suffice for your needs or do you need to view files/ control whats played from your client. If the 1st, then i saw something on hydrogenaudio that someone had developed that might work with MB

IMGrant

p-mob, yes, your points are valid for Renderer and Server functionality, nice maybe but not must-haves. However, I think there's a stronger, valid case for Control Point functionality - MusicBee has great library control, search, filter and playlist features, it would be awesome to be able to use this to play audio on remote wireless streamers.

Steven, simple streaming would be great. Obviously full UPnP support would be the ideal to aim for (in my case to be able to see song titles on the client display and use the IR remote to pause, change volume). Can you direct me to the hydrogenaudio thread?

Steven

• Administrator
i cant find it - i saw it a few weeks ago - its not foobar specific and was in the main forum. But i dont recall whether it required an changes for me to make. If you find it let me know so i can check it out

joka

Have just found Musicbee. It's great except I cannot get it recognised by my wi-fi player. I am not technical at all. I need an all-in-one solution. Just install my music and sort it throu Musicbee then play it on my computer and my other devices around the home bu tuning in. I want something that works like Windows media but just for my music. If you can great not only for me but for non-techies like me. If not then we have to stay with Windows media or Twonky.

Steven

• Administrator
unless a developer is interested to build a plugin, i cant see myself having the time to do this for quite some time

sovereignty68

pump this thread. I would like to see UPnP support as well.