Author Topic: Split Screen for Inbox work  (Read 7294 times)

redwing

If you're like me and love MB's unique "inbox" feature, you will immediately realize what this is about.

Yes, it's a Total Commander thing. And most word processors and web browsers support it, as well.

This "Split Screen" will be extremely useful when you want to compare tracks in inbox with those in music library. Especially for tagging work such as copying and pasting and swapping tags with multiple tracks in inbox and library, I cannot think of a more convenient setting than this. It will also come in handy when you want to compare duplicate files with your library files after sending them to inbox.

As of now I am using multiple tabs for such tasks, but going back and forth between the tabs slow down the process and tend to be more prone to error as compared with the split screen where you can see tracks in different node on the same screen.

I don't know how easy or difficult to implement this technically, but would like you to think about it. Thanks!
Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:44:49 AM by redwing

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Excellent idea
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

beeing good

This would be excellent. Might be confusing or hard to implement but if it can be done (well) then definitely +1.

Iasc

if its not a major problem to implement then +1

cartman005

This is a cool idea. But if it were possible, why not just make it possible to open any playlist (Inbox included) in a separate window?

redwing

This is a cool idea. But if it were possible, why not just make it possible to open any playlist (Inbox included) in a separate window?

Great point! This would make it easy to compare the contents of playlists, too.

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!

Great point! This would make it easy to compare the contents of playlists, too.

You already can in a new tab. Having split-screen though so you can see both at the same time would make certain tagging jobs and such easier
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

paq

How would one achieve that look if it was implemented? I'm thinking it could be like this: you ctrl-click two (or even more?) tabs and then you can right-click any tab and choose "Tile vertically" or "Tile horizontally".

Zak

• Global Moderator
How would one achieve that look if it was implemented? I'm thinking it could be like this: you ctrl-click two (or even more?) tabs and then you can right-click any tab and choose "Tile vertically" or "Tile horizontally".
Functionally that would work, but it would be another "hidden" feature.

I would suggest a new menu item "Split View" in the Configure View button/menu ( )*. When selected it would add the second panel, which defaults to the same content as the unsplit view. It could then be changed to the desired content via normal means. This would make it consistent with Word and other programs that have similar functionality.

*Actually, since it is specific to the current view/tab it would be better in the Configure Layout menu at the right-hand side of the view header (). However, there is already a curious mixture of application-wide and view-specific options between the two menus, so the top menu is probably better for now.

If implemented, it would be necessary to handle drag and drop to a split tab to make it clear which view is going to receive the dropped track/file. The tab title could change to reflect the view that has input focus (ie an entry selected) and that is the view that receives the dropped track.

People with large screens might also like an option for a vertical split.
And a keyboard shortcut to toggle split views.
And a unicorn.
And an oompa loompa.
Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:13:51 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

Nixander

That would be great! I really work alot with the Inbox and it would really fasten up my workflow :)

jistme

+1

Some split screen option to easily compare two files/folders would be a very welcome addition.

jamburglar

Love this idea, hope it gets implemented. I find myself switching back and forth from the Inbox to my Music Library all the time -- definitely gets cumbersome.

dgbx