Author Topic: Last.fm radio stations  (Read 21300 times)

Steven

• Administrator
it looks like last.fm are finally going to disable the old radio API. MB already supports the new radio API, but that API only works for last.fm subscribers. So if you dont have a last.fm subscription you will no longer be able to use the auto-dj feature where MB can randomly select tracks from last.fm and include them in the dj mix or play last.fm radio stations in MB.

"In March 2009 we released a fully documented and supported radio API. At the time we said that we were going to turn off the old, undocumented and unsupported API within "weeks". For a number of reasons weeks turned into years but we have now seen the vast majority of our radio traffic move off the old API onto the new one. Due to the complexity and costs of supporting multiple versions of the API we have decided that the costs of maintaining the old API now outweigh the benefits of keeping it around for a minority of users and therefore we plan to turn if off on December 1 2012. This means that any old applications or libraries still using the previous API will no longer be able to stream radio from Last.fm unless they are updated to use the new API."
http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/2193354

Alainn

I'm not even sure how well they will work for subscribers: pause will be out according to Last.fm and they've recently added a limit to the number of skips to six per hour. I hope for all MusicBee-users/Last.fm-subscribers that the "Maintain x number of upcoming tracks" will still work.

For me, well... I better get started working on my project HiveMusic  ;D

SimonBRT

this is a real shame but what can you do...

Steven

• Administrator
this is a real shame but what can you do...
it should continue to work for last.fm subscribers

Blinghound

Steven, are you referring to this part of the Radio feature?

I just tried it, and it works absolutely fine, tracks stream fine for me! I am not a Last.fm subscriber though, just lucky perhaps?

EDIT: Slight overlook, removed image
Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:58:49 PM by Blinghound

Steven

• Administrator
... therefore we plan to turn if off on December 1 2012. This means that any old applications or libraries still using the previous API will no longer be able to stream radio from Last.fm unless they are updated to use the new API."
http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/2193354

Marco Cevoli

What about replacing Last.fm with some other similar (free) system? Anyone knows any?

Just an idea.

Regards

Marco

Steven

• Administrator

ngwoo

Would there be any way to let the Auto DJ stream "similar" tracks from ex.fm in the way you can with last.fm? Maybe by using last.fm similarity data to filter out which ex.fm tracks are played?

I'm not familiar with how the two services work or if it would even be possible to make data from them interact in this way though.

abhinavsays42

This is bad news for me. I can only play 50 songs through last fm. How good is the radio feature of ex fm?

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
RE http://blog.ashfame.com/2011/03/last-fm-free-internet-radio-hack/

Correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be a suggestion that if you are from UK, US or Germany then you don't come under this and can still stream unlimited without being a subscriber?
Although I am from the UK and the email I received from last.fm didn't seem to back that up? I'm a little confused :/
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Alainn

Correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be a suggestion that if you are from UK, US or Germany then you don't come under this and can still stream unlimited without being a subscriber?
From the Last.fm message: "Please note that only subscribers are allowed to stream radio via the API" and that goes for the new API version that isn't implemented into MusicBee.

I'm a bit hesitant about how the new version works since Last.fm has recently introduced a limit on the amount of skips (even for subscribers). Right now you can keep a list of upcoming tracks while playing an artist-station, delete all the tracks that come before the artist that you actually want to hear and you basically have on-demand streaming (something the industry really doesn't want happening on Last.fm).

ngwoo

How does a subscription work for subscribers outside of the US/UK/Germany? I'm in Canada, will a last.fm subscription allow me to use Musicbee the same way it works now? (Radio stations and AutoDJ tracks from last.fm)

Steven

• Administrator
yes i believe that to be the case, but suggest when december comes you just do a one month subscription to start with