Author Topic: MB Interface Overhaul Ideas!  (Read 3785 times)

jackuars

1. One major request I'd like to put forward is to make MB interface elements to support drag n drop style. For instance dragging Now Playing window and Album art to the place you like.

2. Is it just me or someone who think that the interface of MB is pretty basic. For me, I'd like to have rounded buttons on the bottom bar, not typical square ones as the former looks more professional.

3. Choice of colors used in different panes can be more diverse that'll add to the beauty of the interface. That will make the panes more distinct. The colors should blend in perfectly though.

If you do have any better suggestions, list them here.

Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:27:59 AM by jackuars

Xyzzy

1. One major request I'd like to put forward is to make MB interface elements to support drag n drop style. For instance dragging Now Playing window and Album art to the place you like.

Something like this, aka Visual Studio docking method?

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'm only for this if it is implemented as suggested by the screenshot  - drag n drop with clear indication of where an element can and can't go.
Foobar's right-click only implementation is terrible and I'd hate to see something as confusing as that in MusicBee.
Bee excellent to each other...

paq

I think #2 and #3 can be achieved using custom skins?

However, I think your suggestion # 1 ties in very well with the recent discussion about usability in MB: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7843.0

If there is something I think could be difficult for new users then it would be changing the layout of MB, as many layout settings are available through right-click context menus. I do like that there is "Quick Layout" and the possibility to save Layout Settings. However, I think MusicBee could benefit from something like the picture above (also similar to how layout is set in the text editor UEStudio). Most panels already have certain places they can end up in (left panel/bottom/floating/right panel), so I think it could be a natural step forward in the development of MB to enable drag-n-drop for customizing layout.

jackuars

@xyzzy: That's a great suggestion. That's what I was looking for. Since MB uses .NET Framework for functionality, drag n drop style wouldn't be a pain to implement.  :)

@paq: I think only 1 or 2 skins have rounded buttons, but the skins didn't attract me. So I don't have a choice.
When I meant panels to be of different colors, the panes should be distinctly visible. For instance the Now Playing window should have a different color from the Main window, which is different from the Left sidebar and the Bottom controls. Yeah I know the neutral and multi colored skins achieve this to some extent, but the full potential isn't realized.

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I'm only for this if it is implemented as suggested by the screenshot  - drag n drop with clear indication of where an element can and can't go.
Foobar's right-click only implementation is terrible and I'd hate to see something as confusing as that in MusicBee.
What I wanted to say has been said really. This I agree with totally- I've never got on with FB2k for this reason and skinning seems the way to go for the other things
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here