Author Topic: Small Artwork View Request  (Read 17082 times)

Iasc

I would like to have the option to remove the album count from artwork view to make more room for the band name.

NOW

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ALTERNATIVE 1

ALTERNATIVE 2

ALTERNATIVE 3

alternative 1 is my preference.

thanks
Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:36:50 AM by iasc

Thorbjorn

Steven

• Administrator
its no problem to add a setting for option 1, but instead what do people think about just putting a number

Iasc

having the album count shown is not important for me, but im sure some people would like to have it so it might be a good idea.

Thorbjorn

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
what do people think about just putting a number

I like  :)
but shouldn't it be on the left, so it wont be in the way of the "..." tracks button?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Iasc

Zak

• Global Moderator
its no problem to add a setting for option 1, but instead what do people think about just putting a number

I think this looks good and provides a much better use of space below the image.
My only qualm is that a number by itself could be track count, album count, play count... Even a one letter suffix would help to clarify what it is.

It also suggests other possibilities for overlaying little "info panels" with album and track counts:

Horizontally:

Included durations:

Separated panels:

You could make it configurable like a naming template, then people can put whatever they like:
<artist album count>a<newline><artist track count>t
or
<artist duration><tab><artist album count>a <artist track count>t

Also, the bottom-right corner is already used for the pop-up menu when hovering over a cover, so an overlaid counter would need to be in a different corner, or disappear when the menu is shown.
Bee excellent to each other...

Iasc

my own personal preference would be not to have any numbers at all on the pictures. i just think that the images zak has posted look very cluttered and wouldn't look very nice but if its optional then why not.

Bee-liever

My only qualm is that a number by itself could be track count, album count, play count... Even a one letter suffix would help to clarify what it is.

What we have currently could just be moved to the top:

IMO the "info panels" idea, while a good idea in itself, detracts from the artwork view and makes it look cluttered

Iasc

i have to say i dont really like this, i just dont think it looks very good. for me a clean picture is what looks best.

Zak

• Global Moderator
i just think that the images zak has posted look very cluttered and wouldn't look very nice but if its optional then why not.
Clutteredness is relative to displayed cover size. Even I wouldn't use my latter mockups on a little laptop screen! But on a 24" monitor with large artwork I'd be more inclined to show it.
Bee excellent to each other...

Bee-liever

i have to say i dont really like this, i just dont think it looks very good. for me a clean picture is what looks best.

This would be my preferred option:

I think it's counter-intuitive to group albums by album artist and then display album/albums after the number

paq

* I like Stevens idea with just a number in the right corner (I feel that any other corner makes it distracting).
* You open up the same menu when clicking on "2 albums" as you do when clicking on the [...] that shows up in the right corner...
...so why not simply replace the [...] button with that number? The only difference would be that the number would always show. I also think it makes more sense clicking a number representing the number of albums and then showing those albums, rather than a button labeled "..."
* I do agree with Zak though that just a number could be "any number" while any extra clarifying letters would make it cluttered. I propose that the number is prefixed with a small CD-icon.
* I also like Zak's idea to make it configurable, but maybe this is just one of those situations where it's better to just keep it simple.

So in short:
* Replace [...]-button with a number, open [...]-menu when clicking that number.
* Prefix the number with an icon representing albums, like a CD.

Thorbjorn

I like your mockup paq. I think an option to only show the album count when you mouse over an artist would satisfy people looking for simplicity.  Same way that "..." pops up now. I would prefer that myself.