Author Topic: Color Coding Feature for Songs [Highlighting]  (Read 45184 times)

Gary Young

Just curious and looking for some inspiration - what rules are you guys using together with this feature? :)
Quite unspectacular but very important for me - I use it to grey out tracks which I only have as 20 second "previews", and not as full length tracks. I assigned the genre "Preview" to them and the rule is as simple: [Genre] [is any of] [Preview] with this result:

It works just perfect :)
Providing a rule-based formatting system is really a great thing und a unique feature among music-managers, I think.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I've just assigned different colours for different file types.
Useful to me because if it's an OGG file, I know it's a track I've ripped myself and therefore good quality.
Also makes it easier to identify ASX files which are referencing other files.

It would be nice to highlight tracks that are missing replay gain info, but Track Gain isn't an option on the rules list. :(
Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:22:36 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator

beeing good

Just curious and looking for some inspiration - what rules are you guys using together with this feature? :)

Only just exploring this feature but it seems very powerful. I've set up 128kbps files to be shown in red (which I intend to replace with better quality versions) and two other colours to show tracks in two playlists I sync my Sansa Clip to.

lnminente

This thread is difficult to find for a new user, suggest adding highlighting rules to the title

Zak

• Global Moderator
This thread is difficult to find for a new user, suggest adding highlighting rules to the title
Made it so.
Bee excellent to each other...

redwing

I wonder why this feature is located under Tags(2) instead of Layout section of Preference?

Might be hard to find.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think it's a little fuzzy as to where it goes.  I think it belongs right next to filters, personally.  They're different versions of the same idea.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

lnminente

It think it depends how you use it, if have enabled the highlighting column you could understand it like a virtual tag.
But if have that column hidden and use it to colour the text then it can be understood like something in layout.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
True, it technically can work as a highlighting "tag."  I'd still advocate for putting it right next to Filters, because the use the same system to set up and someone might decide that one or the other works better for their needs.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

murve33

Not sure if this would be wanted by everyone, but I'd like it if the highlighted track's Star Ratings were the color of the specified highlight.

jamburglar

Is there any way to highlight songs whose title=30 characters? Another program truncated a bunch of my tags, so this would be pretty useful for me.

redwing

Is there any way to highlight songs whose title=30 characters? Another program truncated a bunch of my tags, so this would be pretty useful for me.

Create two virtual tags:

Virtual1=$Replace(<Title>,$Left(<Title>,30),)

Virtual2=$Replace(<Title>,$Left(<Title>,29),)

Create a highlighting rule:

match:all
Virtual1 has no value
Virtual2 has a value

It will do the job.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P

You can also use:
Title matches RegEx: ^[^\r\n]{30,30}$

straight into the highlighting rules
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together