Author Topic: Track Browser / More Layout Options  (Read 9836 times)

Xanth

Hi everybody,

i just started using Musicbee, because i was searching for a mp3-player which supports multiple genre tags.
I tested several other Players as well but Musicbee seems to be the only Player with a decent feature set AND a decent UI.

So far i discovered only two things that annoy me:

1 - Despite being highly configurable i can't find a way to have a vertical Track Browser layout where the columns are side by side instead of being    on top of each other. Please change that. Right now i'm using a workaround with the Library Explorer as a second column but that's not the solution i'm looking for. Please, please implement that possibility (i think (hope) that this can't be too hard to do).

2 - By far not as important as my first wish. If there are only the first tracks shown in the Album and Title view there's the "button" to show all other tracks. But where's the "button" to hide them again? For example in Mediamonkey there's a little arrow allowing you to hide those other tracks again.

Zak

• Global Moderator
1 - Despite being highly configurable i can't find a way to have a vertical Track Browser layout where the columns are side by side instead of being    on top of each other.
I thought it was horizontal by default...

Anyhoo, right-click any of the category headings and select Configure Layout > Horizontal.
Bee excellent to each other...

Xanth

I thought it was horizontal by default...

Well, by default it is horizontal, with three columns side by side and title details (or album and title, or cover) underneath it.

What I want is to have the Track Browser with columns side by side and title details (or album and title, or cover) to the right hand side of it.

mikebo

It would also be nice to be able to resize the columns.

Greb

1 - Despite being highly configurable i can't find a way to have a vertical Track Browser layout where the columns are side by side instead of being    on top of each other. Please change that. Right now i'm using a workaround with the Library Explorer as a second column but that's not the solution i'm looking for. Please, please implement that possibility (i think (hope) that this can't be too hard to do).

Preferences > Layout > Show Track browser vertical

mikebo

Preferences > Layout > Show Track browser vertical

That only gives you one column of three rows, what Xanth wants are three columns side by side.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Like this, presumably:

Might be all right I guess - for people with 42-inch monitors.

Xanth

Yes, exactly like this.

I use a notebook with a 1600x900 15,6'' display and your picture fits perfectly without any problems.
If I run Musicbee in fullscreen as always there's still some space left for the now playing playlist.

Greb

Like this, presumably:

Might be all right I guess - for people with 42-inch monitors.

Ok. This case, since the most usual config would be Genre>Album Artist>Album>Song titles, I'd suggest to give the chance to put the columns in artwork mode too. So it'd be possible to do something like this:

or

Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:24:56 AM by Greb

Xanth

+1 for the idea to put the columns in artwork mode too.

Some more requests:
If the number of tracks is displayed in the Track Browser, there should be the option to have those numbers right-aligned.
This way they won't interfere too much with the rest of the text.
Maybe there could also be the option to have the number of albums or artists displayed instead of the number of tracks.

I think it could be pretty comfortable to have the Main Panel remember different layouts for different parts of the library (e.g. music (including different filters), audiobooks, inbox) and for different tabs too.
For example: Right now in Music i use the three columns genre-category, genre, album-artist whereas in Audiobooks i only need album-artist. It's kind of annoying to always have to manually switch the layout of the Main Panel.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Ok. This case, since the most usual config would be Genre>Album Artist>Album>Song titles, I'd suggest to give the chance to put the columns in artwork mode too.
These examples are getting wider and wider!

I find the idea of displaying left-to-right (and then selecting from) a text list, then a list of images, then another text list a bit strange from a UI perspective. It might look more "interesting" but it's hardly an efficient way to select an artist.

But each to their own...

If the number of tracks is displayed in the Track Browser, there should be the option to have those numbers right-aligned.
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7429.msg43021#msg43021

Nixander

+1 for your first wish...

I was giong to write a thread asking for the same feature! :)
 WIth the vertical trackbrowser next to each other there will be a big gain in overview :) I really miss this feature from Itunes!

+1 For the Idea of Xanht :) great mashup :)

Xanth

Thanks a lot for implementing the possibility of having the title-browser in a side-by-side vertical layout.