Author Topic: How do I manually tag an album? Grayed out.  (Read 4742 times)

curiouscat

Hi, how do I manually tag an entire album. I inserted the CD, got the message that database couldn't find the information. So I selected all the tracks and tried auto tag with no luck. Next I tried selecting all and 'get info' I can scroll through all the tabs but all the boxes are grayed out. Please help.

Interesting I inserted the same cd into itunes and the tracks and album were found straightaway. I thought musicbee could access the same info online?

Thanks,

Lucy

SimonBRT

To manually edit tags, select the files then right click and choose 'Edit'.  This brings up the tag editor window.

Strange that MB couldn't find the CD info, I'm sure there is a simple explanation for that but I haven't ripped a CD in a long time so hopefully someone else could help you there.

curiouscat

Hi Simon, thanks for replying. Tried what you suggest but all the boxes are grayed out. Could it be because I am selecting multiple files. I wanted to change the album name from 'unknown' to what it was until I had the patience to rename the songs manually but couldn't do this.

Steven

• Administrator
it sounds like you are trying to edit tags for the CD file itself, but that is read-only and cant be edited.
I recommend you rip the CD to your computer drive (Tools/ Rip Cd) and if musicbee isnt able to find matching tags on the internet then you can edit the tags of the file on your computer

oface

This is a super old thread, but I just ran into the same problem.
Turned out the mp3 files I was trying to tag were marked as read only.
To make them writable:
- Find the songs in Windows Explorer (e.g. in MusicBee, right click on song > Search > Locate in Windows Explorer).
- Highlight the files in Windows Explorer, right click > properties > uncheck "read only").
Hope this helps somebody :).