Author Topic: Many files missing in library....  (Read 14297 times)

Goliathus

Hi,
I recently installed MusicBee. Went through my music folder in hard drive and renamed a lot of file names. Shorted names and removed unnecessary file names before importing them into MB. I have some torrent downloads and removed the torrent text file and the NFO notepad file as well..
I then imported my music folder into MB. It is now showing multiple files that are missing.  I then rescanned the entire library in MB with ''Sending duplicates to Inbox and Add to library - files will be linked to their existing location without re-organization''.
Is there anyway I can fix this. I have deleted all MB software and cleaned out registry. Thinking that I could reinstall and start over but it puts everything back with all missing files before the delete. How can I completely remove all traces and re-install from scratch.
I really like this program and hope I can get around this and continue to use it.
I'm running Win 7 x64.
Thanks.

Zak

• Global Moderator
If I understand correctly:

* You installed MusicBee, which added your existing tracks to its library
* You deleted a heap of files in Windows Explorer
* Now you want to remove those (now) missing files from MusicBee?

Two ways to do this:

1. Manually:
   File > Rescan / Add files with Remove dead links checked.

2. Automatically every time MusicBee starts:
   Edit > Preferences > LIbrary
      Select Check for updated files and and remove dead links at startup

If I've misunderstood, then  ???.
Bee excellent to each other...

Goliathus

Hi,
Thanks for your response. I was editing my music folders file names. I did not fully complete all of them. I transferred them into MB and then later I went back to my music folder and continued editing those files that I missed. I thought that rescanning my music in MB would automatically fix all file names to the newly edited names.
What it did do was give me so many errors that corresponding files are missing. It also installed lots of duplicates.
How can I remove everything and start from scratch. I previously uninstalled MB twice and deleting all traces ( that I'm aware of , folders and registry) but on re-install it put back all existing files with missing song file errors + duplicates.
Thanks.

DaveOzric

Sorry to open this back up. But I do not see this option anymore in my file scan. I know it was there but has it been removed?

File > Rescan / Add files with Remove dead links checked. (gone)

I have version 2.5.5721

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
It's now under
Tools> Advanced> Rescan All Files

The remove dead links part is automatic in this.
Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:05:03 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

rudolph

If I understand correctly:

* You installed MusicBee, which added your existing tracks to its library
* You deleted a heap of files in Windows Explorer
* Now you want to remove those (now) missing files from MusicBee?

Two ways to do this:

1. Manually:
   File > Rescan / Add files with Remove dead links checked.

2. Automatically every time MusicBee starts:
   Edit > Preferences > LIbrary
      Select Check for updated files and and remove dead links at startup

If I've misunderstood, then  ???.

This didn't work. I have all the files in library, but in playlists they still have that [!] icon which says "file is missing". I have re-scanned many times, located few files but it didn't  even find rest of the files from the same folder automatically..

rudolph

I also wanted to mention that if in the playlist I select missing file (Right click > Edit, properties tab) it still has original location info with file name which I haven't changed, I was hoping musicbee would use that original filename or tags to find missing links between playlist files and library that has been already scanned, but it seems that it won't happen.