Author Topic: Add total track count when playlist is selected  (Read 6459 times)

witwald

It would be handy to have a total track count displayed when a playlist is selected. This track count would be in addition to the "XX Albums, YY GB,  hh:mm:ss" information summary that is displayed. When preparing a playlist for an external device I need to keep the total track count less than or equal to 999 tracks, and the playlist does not show that summary information.

Thanks for considering my request/suggestion.

witwald

I don't see the track count in the default setup/skin that I'm using (in MusicBee Version 2, by the way). How did you get the track count displayed in your MusicBee installation?  ???
Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:53:35 PM by witwald

Steven

• Administrator
there is nothing to configure and it should always show.
Perhaps you can post a screenshot of your layout

witwald

Many thanks for all your comments. They've been helpful pointers for me, as I'm new to MusicBee.

After a bit of playing with the Configure Layout options, it is apparent that the track count shows up when Panel Layout is set to either "Album and Tracks" or "Track Detail". However, the track count is not available when Panel Layout is set to "Artwork".

It would be useful to have the track count displayed when Panel Layout is set to "Artwork". It just makes for a more complete summary being available for the user. I just prefer to have my panel layout in Album mode, but I'd still like to have all the summary information available to me.

I've also noticed that, when Panel Layout is set to "Album and Tracks" or to "Track Detail", then the total album count is not displayed. It would be handy if the missing information were displayed. I'm not sure why it might have been left out, whether by accident or by design.  :(

ma_t14

it shows in every view, not just artwork

No it does not. The album count is not displayed anywhere else but the artwork view. It would make sense to display it in album and tracks view at least. Likewise the track count due to its importance should be displayed in all views in my opinion

witwald

Here's a screenshot from my operating version of MusicBee 2.0.4636 (working under Windows 7 64-bit). I have selected the Playlist called "USB Stick MP3". Only the text "4 albums, 1.7 GB, 4:24:02" is displayed. There is no track count that I can see.

Zak

• Global Moderator
After a bit of playing with the Configure Layout options, it is apparent that the track count shows up when Panel Layout is set to either "Album and Tracks" or "Track Detail". However, the track count is not available when Panel Layout is set to "Artwork".
I imagine that's because in Artwork view, MusicBee isn't displaying a single item for each track. Each different album in your playlist might have one track or it might have 30.

For the other views MB can just count how many rows are displayed: 1 row = 1 track. For artwork view it would need to actually "count" the number of tracks included per album/artist/whatever you've grouped by, which is more overhead.
Bee excellent to each other...

ma_t14

@Zak actually that doesn't make much sense as a reason for not displaying the track count  :P

If you group by artist it shows the number of albums beneath the album picture. Does that mean it actually counts the albums before displaying them and the overhead is more?

Zak

• Global Moderator
@Zak actually that doesn't make much sense as a reason for not displaying the track count  :P
It did to me. :(

If you group by artist it shows the number of albums beneath the album picture. Does that mean it actually counts the albums before displaying them and the overhead is more?
Maybe "overhead" wasn't the right word. "More work for Steven, which is why he might not have implemented it" is what I was aiming for.
Bee excellent to each other...

witwald

For the other views MB can just count how many rows are displayed: 1 row = 1 track. For artwork view it would need to actually "count" the number of tracks included per album/artist/whatever you've grouped by, which is more overhead.
In Album View, MB already displays the number of albums, the total size of all the files on disk, and the total playing time of all the tracks. I assume it does that by going through all the individual tracks and performing the requisite summations on the data. Integer counting of the number of tracks would not seem to add that much more overhead.