Installing Custom Skins
To instal any of the user-made skins is a quick and easy task. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions below, to make use of the growing number of custom skins available here
on the forum.
- download the file
- extract the file
- Most files will be in .zip or .rar format. You need the .xml or .xmlc contained inside.* You can extract directly to your skins folder (see next step) or to your default download location.
- move .xml or .xmlc file to the 'Skins' folder
- The default installation folder for this is: C:\Program Files\MusicBee\Skins but you may have to adjust this for your set-up. You can copy-and-paste, drag-and-drop, or extract directly from the compressed file. Whatever you are most comfortable and proficient at.
- start MusicBee
- Or, if you had it running while doing this, restart.
- select the new skin
- Select the skin from either the Bee or drop-down menus, MusicBee will automatically restart to change to the new look.
- use the new skin
- Now enjoy the same, great MusicBee in a new range of colours and designs!
There are a few skins that the download is directly in .xml form. Simply place these directly in the Skins folder and follow the guide from that point onward.
Some skins are created as a series (eg. Tundra Series) and need to be installed as a complete set for them all to work. The downloaded compressed file (.zip or .rar) will contain a folder with the skins inside. Just place the entire folder inside your Skins folder, without separating them, and these skins will work correctly.
You can create sub-folders within the Skins folder to group the new skins in (eg. \MusicBee\Skins\Custom) or you can place them in the existing folders (eg. \MusicBee\Skins\Blue\Mellow Blue.xml)
but you cannot
put folders within the sub-folders (eg. \MusicBee\Skins\Dark\MetroColours (Dark)\MetroDark.Cyan.xmlc)
Skin creators usually work with the very latest beta version of MusicBee, as Steven makes changes that accomodate their many and varied requests, to bring new looks to the Bee. If your installation of the skin does not match the screenshot, please check the version you are using against the version the skin was created on (usually listed in the post for the skin). If you are still having problems, make a post in the forum or contact the author of the skin, for further help and infomation.