Author Topic: delete duplicate songs  (Read 44379 times)

wildgrace

I have some duplicate songs in the MusicBee library is there a way to request to delete the duplicates?

Also is there a way order to sort the library by two different columns?  For example, by extension first, then by file name?

Crosmanrond

Yes, you can LIST duplicate songs, but not automatically delete them(or not so far as I have so far found). To do so open the main window, open your music library press Alt+E to show the "Tag Manager" screen then on the "Filters" drop down menu you will find a "Duplicate Files" filter, from here you have to go through manually and select the songs you want to delete(I recommend selecting more than one at once with "Ctrl+click"ing multiple files at once.

As to your second question I believe right clicking on the "Music Library" in the left panel will allow you to apply advanced filters as you're describing.

Cheers,
Cros

infogulch

Nice! These posts gave me an idea for easily purging huge amounts of duplicates. (1100+ in my case)

What I did:
Created a new, normal, temporary playlist
Went to the music library, hit Alt+E to bring up the Tag Manager and selected only "Duplicate Files"
Copied ALL the files listed here into the temporary playlist
Back in the Tag Manager for the entire library, I selected "filter: Custom Filter" and entered the following criteria:
   Playlist IS [Temporary playlist name]
   Filename ENDS WITH _1.mp3
Then I just deleted all of these. :D

There are a couple of caveats:
It only works when MusicBee is organizing all the files automatically, and in a way that they would be in the same folder and filename.
This only works if the duplicates have the same file extension.
This would really suck if the song's name literally ended with "_1" ::)

Of course it goes without saying that one would only do this at their own risk...  :P

Steven

• Administrator
wildgrace, for the 2nd question just click the column header for the first sort and then hold the Ctrl key down when you click the 2nd sort column header. You can sort by as many columns as you need
Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:25:17 AM by Steven

briketdam

Similar problem I solved out by using an utility from DuplicateFilesDeleter.com

Zak

• Global Moderator
There are a couple of caveats:
It only works when MusicBee is organizing all the files automatically, and in a way that they would be in the same folder and filename.
This only works if the duplicates have the same file extension.
This would really suck if the song's name literally ended with "_1" ::)
Also only good if the duplicates are truly duplicated files have been created as the result of a copying operation at some point.

If you have duplicated songs from different sources you'd want to go through them manually to make sure you were keeping the highest quality copies.
Bee excellent to each other...

markjl

Hello.
Is the duplicate files filter still in the current version 3.0. I can't see it in ALT E window

https://goo.gl/yZP8ET

Thanks for beeing there ..
Mark

redwing

Is the duplicate files filter still in the current version 3.0. I can't see it in ALT E window

Go to Tools> Manage Duplicates

Tinidazone

Go to Tools> Manage Duplicates
This option complicate things.
I wear shades 😎 cuz you're just too bright 🔆

hiccup

Why are you posting a pretty much useless reply to a 3 yr. old post?
Usually it's spambots doing that?

Tinidazone

Why are you posting a pretty much useless reply to a 3 yr. old post?
Usually it's spambots doing that?
Since you are here too will you please help... How can I remove duplicate

it has inverse selection... I want the files on the "duplicate file" column to retain and the files on the "path" column are what I wanted to delete them.
"The option above says about drag and drop..." but you cant select multiple of them

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Save your duplicates to a playlist and multi-delete the ones you don't want from there.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Tinidazone

Save your duplicates to a playlist and multi-delete the ones you don't want from there.

Thank you
I have a Video about it... Check it out(click the image to Youtube)