Author Topic: GETTING STARTED  (Read 3034 times)

rllavaneras

Good afternoon to the FORUM people.

I am a new MusicBee user and as such I am a little confused when I have to use new software.

Generally, I read the manuals, but in this case, there are none and I should use the online help.

I am an older person tired of using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER who did an internet review and chose a widely recommended alternative music player and it turned out to be MusicBee.

So far, it is easy to use; but my problem is that, at 68 years of age, I need a guide for the following:

1) What are Libraries?
2) What are lists?
3) Are the lists inside the libraries?

For example:
I have a USB device with multiple folders containing music.
How can I play music files from a certain folder in MusicBee?
This, because when I tried to reproduce them, but I had to make a list that I couldn't even name it, but MusicBee did it all. Now I try to search the list and it turns out that the files went to a big library.
But it turns out that I can't choose the files in the Library and worse, I don't know how to reproduce them.

So I ask you:
*    How do I create a LIST where I can name it and add the files I want?
*    Should I create a LIBRARY or is it created by itself with the LIST?
*    How do I remove those libraries and lists?

This, because I do not know how to do. But if I have the concepts well explained and especially, I know the process to create LISTS and / or LIBRARIES, surely I can enjoy the MusicBee software that promises a lot, but that I cannot understand because I need help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,
Rafael E. LLavaneras
Rafael E. Llavaneras

phred

• Global Moderator
I suggest starting with the Wiki (see my sig) and specifically this https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Welcome to the forum rllavaneras

Phred's link is a very good starting point. Then there is tons of information on this forum to be found that has been contributed over the years.

Some brief comments from my point of view.

'Library' can mean two different things.
- A MusicBee database that refers to (a selection of) music files
- All your music files themselves

With 'list' you probably mean playlist.
It's like a grocery list that has a selection from the whole supermarket.
But instead of it saying what to buy, it says what to play.
You can add songs manually to such a list, or you can have such a list populated in many different automated ways.
You can have dozens and dozens of different playlists for different occasions/purposes.

Some suggestions:

Make a backup of all your music files on another drive.
Install a portable version for MusicBee
When you start it, it will ask for the folder(s) where your music files are located.
Have MB scan those.
Now you have a 'library'.
Start experimenting with playlists, perhaps library filters, etc. etc.
If things go wrong, you'll have your backups, and you can easily setup another portable MusicBee install to start again having learned from earlier experiences.

Another important thing to know:
MusicBee is not intended as a folder player (I think you implied using it like that)
MusicBee is designed to manage an internal library that contains properly managed music files.
If you are not comfortable with putting some (serious) effort in tagging your library files correctly, another player might be a better choice.