Author Topic: MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)  (Read 496970 times)

kelsos

Thank you so much for your work on this!  I'm new to MusicBee, but just spent about 12 hours getting my music collection in there, tags fixed, images, etc.  What I'd like to be able to do is remotely play from my Android device so  that I can do it from my couch while listening to the living room stereo.  Anyway, I've installed the plug-in and it will control playback on whatever is my currently playing album on MusicBee, but it will never actually sync my library.  I thought maybe it would just take a while, but I've let it sit for hours and still no.    This is what I see on Android:

Hey ZeroTX,

That should not take this long, how big is your library? also would it be easy for you to restart the application enable the logs from the settings, try to refresh and then send me the logs? (you can send the logs using the feedback screen.

happyguy

@Kelsos, Thank you for the quick reply!
Yeah that makes sense - the app store details mentioned android 4 (iirc) so i was confused. sorted out now  :)
I've sideloaded the older version, and it connects - i just need to build my library and test it. Cant wait

btw, other than OS compatibility features, are there any major differences between the older version and the one you just released?

Thank you once again for making this,
i have some good speakers in the living room that i wanted to make more use of, and being able to manage my music from the couch is going to be awesome

Hey @happyguy the application in the store has a minimum requirement of Android 6, that is why you get this message. On the other hand, you can still get the older version of the application from GitHub (https://github.com/musicbeeremote/android-app/releases/tag/v1.1.0) and sideload it to your tablet.

kelsos

@Kelsos, Thank you for the quick reply!
Yeah that makes sense - the app store details mentioned android 4 (iirc) so i was confused. sorted out now  :)
I've sideloaded the older version, and it connects - i just need to build my library and test it. Cant wait

btw, other than OS compatibility features, are there any major differences between the older version and the one you just released?

Thank you once again for making this,
i have some good speakers in the living room that i wanted to make more use of, and being able to manage my music from the couch is going to be awesome

Hey @happyguy the application in the store has a minimum requirement of Android 6, that is why you get this message. On the other hand, you can still get the older version of the application from GitHub (https://github.com/musicbeeremote/android-app/releases/tag/v1.1.0) and sideload it to your tablet.

Well, some things that had performance issues were removed, and also sync in the new version should be way faster, but it seems that it still might have some issues. Other than that the features should be the same.

ZeroTX

I was actually able to get it working.  Not sure what I did that was the key to making it work.  I deleted the app and installed the older version (side loaded).  That didn't work at all, actually, so I deleted it and re-loaded the new version and it just worked *shrug* ... Not gonna complain about that ;)

omr3lh

Just stopping here to say WOW and give my thanks to Kelsos. I've been using this plugin for several (4+ years?) with Musicbee on my Windows desktop — it's been a great experience.

I recently switched over to a Macbook and have started using Musicbee via Crossover. I didn't expect this plugin to work on MacOS...but it does! It works perfectly out of the box — no tweaking required.

I've tried to donate over the years to support your work on this and never found a way. If/when there is, I'll be first in line!

kelsos

Just stopping here to say WOW and give my thanks to Kelsos. I've been using this plugin for several (4+ years?) with Musicbee on my Windows desktop — it's been a great experience.

I recently switched over to a Macbook and have started using Musicbee via Crossover. I didn't expect this plugin to work on MacOS...but it does! It works perfectly out of the box — no tweaking required.

I've tried to donate over the years to support your work on this and never found a way. If/when there is, I'll be first in line!

Thanks for the kind words :). I hope I can improve things even more for 2.0 (though I have been struggling a lot with some past decisions)

Glad to know it works fine.

Yes, currently there is no way to donate. I might consider it at some point in the future.

MayorQwert

Hey I'm having some trouble figuring out how to get this set up. Downloaded the latest build and installed it but not sure how to link it up with MusicBee.

Also, is this only for the android app or can this be used with other programs? I'm looking for something I can implement in a chatbot for a music stream I'm doing to allow viewers to use commands to skip/request music, though I have a feeling this isn't what I'm looking for.

stardepp

I can report that MusicBee Remote has been working fine for me for over two years. Many thanks to @kelsos for this beautiful app 🍀✨😎🎹🎧🎷

kelsos

Hey I'm having some trouble figuring out how to get this set up. Downloaded the latest build and installed it but not sure how to link it up with MusicBee.

Also, is this only for the android app or can this be used with other programs? I'm looking for something I can implement in a chatbot for a music stream I'm doing to allow viewers to use commands to skip/request music, though I have a feeling this isn't what I'm looking for.

Is the plugin installed?

Someone created a fork with websockets https://github.com/musicbeeremote/plugin/issues/16#issuecomment-739565017 you could use it for building a chatbot on top :)

Nubblez

Also just wanted to chime in with my thanks.  I've probably been using it for about 6 years now - and it's really added a lot of value to Musicbee in our household.

MayorQwert

Is the plugin installed?

Someone created a fork with websockets https://github.com/musicbeeremote/plugin/issues/16#issuecomment-739565017 you could use it for building a chatbot on top :)

Yeah I installed it, I just wasn't looking in the right place haha!

I have two versions of MB - Portable and installed, and didn't realize it installed to the installed version since the portable version is where I usually test all this stuff first. Managed to get it showing up now. I'll try to take a look at that other websocket version at some point maybe!

I have so much to do right now but I'll put it on the backlog, thanks!

Lennyroquai

Hey,

First, a huge thanks to Kelsos. Last time i've used the remote was years ago : but due to the limit of the playlist to 500 items, i had to abandon MusicBee to JRiver ! And i've just discovered what you've done and tested the remote : it's a beast !

Only one question for me (and sorry if it already been answered) : i use musicbee as "full random in all the music i have", but if i play a specific music through the remote (oh god ! that search feature is wonderful) how to i get back to the "play any of all my music" ?

Should i create a playlist of "all my songs" and just click on it ?
On the Main MusicBee i have a "All artists" by default and the main screen with all the songs. when needed i just click on it and then on a random song and "voila"

Thank you

kelsos

Hey,

First, a huge thanks to Kelsos. Last time i've used the remote was years ago : but due to the limit of the playlist to 500 items, i had to abandon MusicBee to JRiver ! And i've just discovered what you've done and tested the remote : it's a beast !

Only one question for me (and sorry if it already been answered) : i use musicbee as "full random in all the music i have", but if i play a specific music through the remote (oh god ! that search feature is wonderful) how to i get back to the "play any of all my music" ?

Should i create a playlist of "all my songs" and just click on it ?
On the Main MusicBee i have a "All artists" by default and the main screen with all the songs. when needed i just click on it and then on a random song and "voila"

Thank you

You can still queue your whole library from the track tab in the library there is a `Play Now (Queue All)` option that queues everything and plays the selected track. Would this help?

Or you imaging something closer to queue everything and selected a random track?

wysocki

First let me say "THANK YOU" for this amazing piece of code. It has made my life livable for the past year of Covid! (You really need a donation button somewhere).
Anyway, the reason I'm here is that I was thinking "I wonder if an update is out for my v1.4 MB Remote yet." Guess not, but rather than read through 43 pages of posts in this thread, here's what I need to know:

1. I have a problem with playlists. Specifically, they don't do anything when I click on one other than blink (Galaxy S10).
2. Any way to view/play folders from the library page?

Hopefully, you've covered these items somewhere that you can point me to, but if not, here's your chance!
---Terry (Thanks again!)
Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:11:05 AM by wysocki

kelsos

First let me say "THANK YOU" for this amazing piece of code. It has made my life livable for the past year of Covid! (You really need a donation button somewhere).
Anyway, the reason I'm here is that I was thinking "I wonder if an update is out for my v1.4 MB Remote yet." Guess not, but rather than read through 43 pages of posts in this thread, here's what I need to know:

1. I have a problem with playlists. Specifically, they don't do anything when I click on one other than blink (Galaxy S10).
2. Any way to view/play folders from the library page?

Hopefully, you've covered these items somewhere that you can point me to, but if not, here's your chance!
---Terry (Thanks again!)

Hey there, by default the playlists should play the track when clicked, that is the only functionality currently available. If they just blink for you then there must be an issue. Unfortunately, after a quick check, I am not sure I can replicate so I would need your help figuring out the issue. Could you send me an e-mail, and maybe some logs while trying to play a playlist. This should probably be sufficient for me to figure out why it doesn't work.

As for the second question this is planned for the future, but it is not available at the moment unfortunately.