Author Topic: MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)  (Read 497017 times)

spyroll

I'm unable to get my iPhone to connect to my desktop's MusicBee remote.

I currently have the default settings (Port: 3000, Private address list: 1982.168.0.198). Upon trying to connect with my iPhone, it just gets stuck on the spinning "Connecting" screen. From reading this thread, one thing I have noticed is that I have an application "Remote Mouse" (for controlling the mouse with my iPhone) which connects similarly to MusicBee remote. That app also identifies my computer the same (192.168.0.198). I suspect this MAY be interfering with the Musicbee connection, and possibly be the reason why MusicBee remote app can't connect to my desktop? One way or the other I have no idea how to resolve that and I simply can't get them to pair. :(

Am I on the wrong track? Any help as to how to go about successfully pairing my Musicbee Remote to my desktop would be so gracious!

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm unable to get my iPhone to connect to my desktop's MusicBee remote.
If you're trying to use the plug-in in this thread it won't work because, as the thread topic states MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)

There is a remote control for IOS which you can find in the add-ons section of the forum. I have no idea how or if it works.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Disco

Hello,

thanks for the app.
I just have troubles connecing my android to musicbee on pc.

Musicbee pc remote in "tools" states that it is running.

The app just does not find anything to connect to.
Tried to add the info manually by copying the ip and port from musicbee pc remote config menu with no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

kelsos

Hello,

thanks for the app.
I just have troubles connecing my android to musicbee on pc.

Musicbee pc remote in "tools" states that it is running.

The app just does not find anything to connect to.
Tried to add the info manually by copying the ip and port from musicbee pc remote config menu with no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Hey Disco,

Can you check if the port is allowed through the Windows firewall? most of the time the problem in connections is that the windows firewall just blocks incoming connections.

kelsos

For anyone interested I will probably have a beta version of the app with support for Android 11, and some optimizations on library sync that I have been working on for a while.

the tracking issue is here: https://github.com/musicbeeremote/android-app/issues/203
I hope to have a ready working build in the following weeks

heated_snail

I'm so glad to hear about a new beta! The plugin has always been my preferred way to handle track skipping or queueing, and volume control, while my PC far across a room is handling playback through an external amp and speakers that serve the whole room.

Lately I have completely reinstalled MusicBee (after sort of a fiasco where both the Windows App Store version, and the regular download & install version, were both on my PC and it seemed to confuse things). And reinstalled the MusicBee Remote plugin. Unfortunately, now I'm having difficulty getting the plugin to connect.

Edit: success! I had forgotten to also uninstall and reinstall the MusicBee Remote app on the phone. After doing so, I still was unable to find the PC in a scan from the app, but I was able to add it using its IP address and now I'm connected.
Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:14:10 AM by heated_snail

heated_snail

I forgot to add: It's really great that the Android app has a Widget. Just having a little thumbnail of album art (if any) and play/pause and forward/back controls is GREAT.

What would really make the widget an absolute home-run, though:

* Volume control slider right in the widget would be amazing! Not having to actually switch the app itself to forefront just to adjust volume would be SO good. **EDIT: Hey! I didn't know, ever since Android 10 the built-in volume rocker switch on my phone now brings up a dual on-screen volume slider, one for phone volume and one that adjusts MusicBee's current play level.

* Also the Play icon should change from the standard Play triangle to a Pause or Stop icon when you press it. Right now (at least on Android 10) it just is always the Play icon. It functions as expected, but the icon remains stuck as a Play icon, which can be confusing.

* The Android Notification correctly keeps up with the current playing track. The Android home-screen widget, however, often does not update the album artwork or the track name. It sometimes updates on time, sometimes not. Occasionally the track and artist name will be left far behind even if the artwork updates.

* I don't know if this is even under your control or just an Android feature, but the current widget dimension options are 1x4 tiles and 2x4 tiles. A very popular Android 10 home screen setup is 5 tiles wide rather than 4. I would love a 2x5 widget. It could have room for even rating stars maybe? Because that would be so awesome, being able to update my track ratings remotely. I rely a lot on the ratings feature in MusicBee to curate my large music collection but if I have to run to the PC to update the stars when a track comes up then it often doesn't happen.

I really appreciate the work you've done on this and it's fantastic already. By the way, the visual appearance in Android notifications is just gorgeous. The way it comes up with an attractive, readable, and complementary text and background color based on the current album art just looks great, in fact it strikes me as often appearing even better looking than standard Android UI elements. Thank you!
Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:58:26 AM by heated_snail

kelsos

I have pushed a beta version to the testing channel on Play Store, also you can download the apk from https://github.com/musicbeeremote/android-app/releases/tag/v1.2.0-beta1 if you are interested in testing.

Mostly it adds support for Android 11, and backports the work I have been doing to improve the metadata sync. Any feedback would be appreciated.

heated_snail I opened issues for the comments.

Also, I have to implement the QR code setup at some point. I have had that in mind forever (probably since 2014).

dontfollowme

Big thanks kelsos - I just installed the beta apk on my Pixel 3 :)

kelsos

Big thanks kelsos - I just installed the beta apk on my Pixel 3 :)

You are welcome :)
v1.2.1 should be available now, it has some crash fixes from the beta :) It has been made available on the play store during the weekend

dontfollowme

Excellent - I just upgraded from the beta via the play store.

happyguy

Greetings! Thank you for your work on this

I wished to breathe new life (if possible) into an android device i have, and use it as a musicbee remote
However i get a playstore warning "Your device is incompatible with this version"

HW: Galaxy Tab SM-T285
SW: Stock (i think) 5.11
(As it's an old device ive disabled a bunch of samsung apps to keep it responsive)

Is there any chance i can get this working?

kelsos

Hey @happyguy the application in the store has a minimum requirement of Android 6, that is why you get this message. On the other hand, you can still get the older version of the application from GitHub (https://github.com/musicbeeremote/android-app/releases/tag/v1.1.0) and sideload it to your tablet.

Greetings! Thank you for your work on this

I wished to breathe new life (if possible) into an android device i have, and use it as a musicbee remote
However i get a playstore warning "Your device is incompatible with this version"

HW: Galaxy Tab SM-T285
SW: Stock (i think) 5.11
(As it's an old device ive disabled a bunch of samsung apps to keep it responsive)

Is there any chance i can get this working?

ZeroTX

Thank you so much for your work on this!  I'm new to MusicBee, but just spent about 12 hours getting my music collection in there, tags fixed, images, etc.  What I'd like to be able to do is remotely play from my Android device so  that I can do it from my couch while listening to the living room stereo.  Anyway, I've installed the plug-in and it will control playback on whatever is my currently playing album on MusicBee, but it will never actually sync my library.  I thought maybe it would just take a while, but I've let it sit for hours and still no.    This is what I see on Android: