Author Topic: MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)  (Read 500780 times)

kelsos

Hi there,

I will consider it, and I might add it in a future update. It will require some modifications on both the plugin and client since I currently ignore the composer metadata. I will have to think it through and it will probably have to wait for after the optimization of the sync process.

xcava86x

Hello everyone!

I just registered to the forum to ask you help about something that is driving me crazy: I installed the remote plugin correctly, but it works only if I set the Address Filtering to allow All. If I try to specify the IP addresses it should use, the status changes to Stopped.

Well I just had a hunch about what to use as search parameter in the search engine of my choice and... I fixed it. I had to add 127.0.0.1 to the Allowed list.
I thought that was a list for the IP addresses that were allowed to connect to MusicBee, why is that I have to allow that IP?

I solved my problem but I've no idea of what I've done. I'd love some insight. :)

kelsos

Hello everyone!

I just registered to the forum to ask you help about something that is driving me crazy: I installed the remote plugin correctly, but it works only if I set the Address Filtering to allow All. If I try to specify the IP addresses it should use, the status changes to Stopped.

Well I just had a hunch about what to use as search parameter in the search engine of my choice and... I fixed it. I had to add 127.0.0.1 to the Allowed list.
I thought that was a list for the IP addresses that were allowed to connect to MusicBee, why is that I have to allow that IP?

I solved my problem but I've no idea of what I've done. I'd love some insight. :)

That's a bug, that I haven't published the fix yet... :( there is a fix available (loopback fix 7z) in the previous page but I will have to track the exact commit and create a proper release for it.

xcava86x

Aha... So that's it!  :D

Thank you for telling me, I thought I was missing something crucial in networking dynamics (I'm a self-taught IT).

Again, thank you!

Seli

Thanks a lot for the great app! I am trying to set up the remote plugin but can't seem to connect my android device to the host. It looks like a similar problem to the previous comments on this thread, so it might be the same bug. Basically, after installing the plugin, I get a settings window with a wrong IP in the private address list. When I try to specify the correct IP, it doesn't appear on the address list. Also, I cannot connect from the Android app. When I scan, it gives a "A remote service could not be found". When I try manually, it gives another error message.

I have also installed the fix you provided on the previous page. This prevents the desktop app from giving a Stopped prompt when specifying an address, but it doesn't solve the connection problem, at least in my case. I have tried different ports, with no result. These are some of the messages I get in the debug log:

2017-07-17 01:06:19.0727 [DEBUG]
MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.SocketServer : 0
Socket starts listening on port: 3000

2017-07-17 01:06:19.0727 [ERROR]
While starting the socket service
Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

broadcasting message BroadcastMessages: 2={"context":"nowplayinglyrics","data":"Lyrics Not Found"};3={"context":"nowplayinglyrics","data":{"status":404,"lyrics":""}}, _content: nowplayinglyrics

MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.ServiceDiscovery : 0
Starting discovery listener at 239.1.5.10:45345 for interface 192.168.0.103

2017-07-17 01:06:21.9851 [DEBUG]
MusicBeePlugin.InfoWindow : 0
Selected source is -> Library

2017-07-17 01:06:21.9921 [DEBUG]
07/17/2017 01:06:21 : OnClientConnect Exception : The IAsyncResult object was not returned from the corresponding asynchronous method on this class.
Parameter name: asyncResult

07/17/2017 01:06:21 : OnClientConnect Exception : You must call the Bind method before performing this operation.

2017-07-17 01:07:11.8554 [ERROR]
Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

2017-07-17 01:07:18.9768 [DEBUG]
sending-all: {"context":"ping","data":""}

Ping: 16/07/2017 18:07:18

I would really appreciate some help. Maybe it´s a simple thing I am overlooking!

lordlance

Hi! I love Remote. I didn't use it for a while. Now I needed it again, so I reinstalled the App on Android. The App told me that I was using an old version of the plugin in Musicbee. Well, I'll be damned, if I use an old version!
So I went here, and downloaded the 1.1 version. Men, it's a EXE file! Ok... When I launch it, it asks me for the Musicbee folder.
I use portable musicbee (on my NAS, so I can easily start it from any PC in my house). When I try to choose that folder, I can't go on with the installation. I tried to move the musicbee folder on my C:, but still I had no luck: this time, when I choose the musicbeeportable, the installer senses that there's the musicbee executable (I think), 'cause it turn on the OK button, but when I click "OK" to choose the folder, then I can't still prosecute with the installation (the Install button is grey, unclicable).
"Fortunately" in this thread I found a 7z file, that of course I downloaded, and manually substituted, 'cause it's a simple DLL.
So, I simply want to tell you that you should keep your installer more "raw", capable to force the installation on any folder, even on a "not-musicbee" one, so we can just extract the file, and move it in a different folder, eventually.

kelsos

Hi! I love Remote. I didn't use it for a while. Now I needed it again, so I reinstalled the App on Android. The App told me that I was using an old version of the plugin in Musicbee. Well, I'll be damned, if I use an old version!
So I went here, and downloaded the 1.1 version. Men, it's a EXE file! Ok... When I launch it, it asks me for the Musicbee folder.
I use portable musicbee (on my NAS, so I can easily start it from any PC in my house). When I try to choose that folder, I can't go on with the installation. I tried to move the musicbee folder on my C:, but still I had no luck: this time, when I choose the musicbeeportable, the installer senses that there's the musicbee executable (I think), 'cause it turn on the OK button, but when I click "OK" to choose the folder, then I can't still prosecute with the installation (the Install button is grey, unclicable).
"Fortunately" in this thread I found a 7z file, that of course I downloaded, and manually substituted, 'cause it's a simple DLL.
So, I simply want to tell you that you should keep your installer more "raw", capable to force the installation on any folder, even on a "not-musicbee" one, so we can just extract the file, and move it in a different folder, eventually.

Hello lordlance.

The installer is supposed to be an easy way for users that have MusicBee to install the plugin without having to locate anything on their own. This is supposed to go along with a MusicBee installation.

If you just want to extract the dll to a folder I always supply a 7zip archive, thus I am quite baffled by the fact that you had trouble finding the 7zip archive by "fortune" in this topic. If you check the plugin Releases on GitHub you can find the 7z along with the exe for every release in the last 4 years.

kelsos

Thanks a lot for the great app! I am trying to set up the remote plugin but can't seem to connect my android device to the host. It looks like a similar problem to the previous comments on this thread, so it might be the same bug. Basically, after installing the plugin, I get a settings window with a wrong IP in the private address list. When I try to specify the correct IP, it doesn't appear on the address list. Also, I cannot connect from the Android app. When I scan, it gives a "A remote service could not be found". When I try manually, it gives another error message.

I have also installed the fix you provided on the previous page. This prevents the desktop app from giving a Stopped prompt when specifying an address, but it doesn't solve the connection problem, at least in my case. I have tried different ports, with no result. These are some of the messages I get in the debug log:

Socket starts listening on port: 3000

2017-07-17 01:06:19.0727 [ERROR]

broadcasting message BroadcastMessages: 2={"context":"nowplayinglyrics","data":"Lyrics Not Found"};3={"context":"nowplayinglyrics","data":{"status":404,"lyrics":""}}, _content: nowplayinglyrics

MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.ServiceDiscovery : 0
Starting discovery listener at 239.1.5.10:45345 for interface 192.168.0.103

2017-07-17 01:06:21.9851 [DEBUG]
MusicBeePlugin.InfoWindow : 0
Selected source is -> Library

07/17/2017 01:06:21 : OnClientConnect Exception : The IAsyncResult object was not returned from the corresponding asynchronous method on this class.
Parameter name: asyncResult

07/17/2017 01:06:21 : OnClientConnect Exception : You must call the Bind method before performing this operation.

2017-07-17 01:07:11.8554 [ERROR]

sending-all: {"context":"ping","data":""}

Ping: 16/07/2017 18:07:18

I would really appreciate some help. Maybe it´s a simple thing I am overlooking!

It mostly seems that something is already using the ip/port combination. Could you please provide me information about the actual IP used by the plugin and the ones that are reported at the plugin window? It might be some case I didn't encounter before.

lordlance

Hello lordlance.

The installer is supposed to be an easy way for users that have MusicBee to install the plugin without having to locate anything on their own. This is supposed to go along with a MusicBee installation.

If you just want to extract the dll to a folder I always supply a 7zip archive, thus I am quite baffled by the fact that you had trouble finding the 7zip archive by "fortune" in this topic. If you check the plugin Releases on GitHub you can find the 7z along with the exe for every release in the last 4 years.
Thanks for the reply. Sure, I should have looked better, because in the 1st page of this topic you give all the indications. My bad.
I started from the last page searching for a solution, and I found the link in the previous pages, so... I did extra work for nothing  :)

frankz

Code
MusicBee v3.1.6462.25231 (Win10.0), 26 Sep 2017 0:58:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.GetTrackCellIndex(Point pt)
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.panel_MouseMove(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e)
   at #=q3NH2bj_aNtWP9iyR4XCva_MurSe7Ls5E4nQRJD02_ys=.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs #=q6se_n9RE9uLNPeOKJhpr6g==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=qqQr8KjRVJigjbc40_zndgrppVq$tlFj7VGzTEjL$W3A=.WndProc(Message& #=q$gOgAOfQ07LLMVzruwk33A==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

FYI I believe I caused this error by exiting the app in android while paused. Got it when I returned to the computer several hours later and clicked a tab.

kelsos

Hey frankz, did you have any other plugin installed along with the remote plugin? I am almost certain I never had any MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.GetTrackCellIndex(Point pt) method in the remote plugin.

Steven

• Administrator
the error looks likes its probably from the last.fm recommendations plugin

frankz

I do have the last.fm plugin installed, and it did act strangely (track recommendations missing at times, one column of them up at the upper left where the artist bio is at other times).  Guess that was it. Sorry to put this in the wrong place.

Don't remember what tab I clicked when the error was generated.  I sort of thought it was "Music," but it sure could have been the one I have set up for Last.fm.

edcase

Feature request for "MusicBee Remote", ability to add currently playing track to an existing playlist from the vertical "..." menu or something, although it's probably already been asked for. ^^

Other small feedback would be to change the shortcut for "Now Playing" track list, currently when I go to scrub a song's timeline or volume my clumsy fingers keep activating the "Now Playing" shortcut. I'd suggest changing it's position away from two sliders or having it require swipe from offscreen (right) like the swipe for menu (left).

Thanks for the work put into this already though, it is a fantastic addition to MusicBee. I only discovered Remote yesterday and I can't imagine going without this feature now, quintessential.

Tilde

Straight off the bat thanks for developing this great app, leaving it open source and keeping it free!

To give a background I've been a long-time foobar2000 user who relies heavily on remote software to control my headless music server. I paid to get FoobarCon Pro which has a bunch of features I'm really missing since migrating to MusicBee + MusicBee Remote.

So here I go with a bunch of requests in descending order of preference:
Display track and total track plus disc numbers and play count on now playing screen
More granular volume control
Display information such as format, bit-rate, bit-depth, sample rate on the now playing screen
and/or ability to view Track information (see how FooBar Con does this, brings up above info plus path and loads more)
Ability to jump straight to artist and album from now playing screen
More shuffle options (namely shuffle album) [or alternatively explain how shuffle works, what does the headphone icon indicate?]
Display year in () brackets rather than square, just looks nicer imo  :P  

In line with the above post would also be nice to more easily add the current track/album to an existing (or even new) playlist. Currently it seems the only way to do this is to go back into the library and re-navigate to it. Adding the ability to jump straight to artist and album from now playing would obviously make this easier, or simply allowing you to select tracks from the queue.

Edit: Oh and if you have it set to pause on receiving a call, make it resume upon call end. Only tested this once but didn't seem to do it which surprised me.
Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 06:07:18 AM by Tilde