Author Topic: Track browser enhancements  (Read 4067 times)

ferongr

I don't know if the 1.2 beta has entered freeze, but I have two suggestions for the UI, and more specifically, the track browser.

1. Allow an arbitary (in a reasonable limit) number of panes. For example, a two pane layout with Artist and Album filters. Or a four pane layout, in which case, the additional pane can select any kind of tag as a filter. Example of filters in a four pane layout: [Mood] [Genre] [Artist] [Album]. But for my personal usage scenario (and that of some users that only use an Artist/Album filtering scheme) even a simple setting to remove the first pane would be sufficient.

2. Allow double-click and right-click actions on the track browser panes. Possible way to do it:

Right now, with a single click on any of the panes, the panes to the right go to "All" and display all results in the track list underneath (although rarely that fails and the tracklist stays empty)

By double clicking an item in a pane, the selected 'Play Now' action with all the tracks in the tracklist should be performed. By right-clicking an item, some select actions could be performed (or possibly, all the actions possible by the right-click menu for a track)

3. A minor improvement, at the bottom toolbar of the tracklist (where the number of files is displayed) a total length estimate would be useful

That's it. Keep up the good work.

Steven

• Administrator
I don't know if the 1.2 beta has entered freeze, but I have two suggestions for the UI, and more specifically, the track browser.
1. Allow an arbitary (in a reasonable limit) number of panes. For example, a two pane layout with Artist and Album filters. Or a four pane layout, in which case, the additional pane can select any kind of tag as a filter. Example of filters in a four pane layout: [Mood] [Genre] [Artist] [Album]. But for my personal usage scenario (and that of some users that only use an Artist/Album filtering scheme) even a simple setting to remove the first pane would be sufficient.
2. Allow double-click and right-click actions on the track browser panes. Possible way to do it:

Right now, with a single click on any of the panes, the panes to the right go to "All" and display all results in the track list underneath (although rarely that fails and the tracklist stays empty)

By double clicking an item in a pane, the selected 'Play Now' action with all the tracks in the tracklist should be performed. By right-clicking an item, some select actions could be performed (or possibly, all the actions possible by the right-click menu for a track)
1. is included in the next release on the forum and 2 is already done

Antonski

3. A minor improvement, at the bottom toolbar of the tracklist (where the number of files is displayed) a total length estimate would be useful

+1
Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:54:09 PM by Antonski

Steven

• Administrator
its already there in the bottom right of the main panel or did you mean something else?

Jyqft

+1 for this. Steven, thanks for paying attention to the track browser and making some changes to it. However, I'd like it if all four (or more?) columns could all have the option of displaying the same set of content.

The way you implemented it, only the 3rd column can display Artist, Album Artist, Conductor, and Composer, while only the 4th column can display Album and Album [Year]. In my case, I'd want the 2nd column to display Artist while the 3rd column to display Album Artist since soundtracks usually don't have just one sole artist participating.

Would it be possible to add this to the next update? Thanks.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this feature's already in...?

Steven

• Administrator
i've made it so the first 3 columns you can select any of the criteria:
http://www.mediafire.com/?vj0zzuidby5
Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:41:42 PM by Steven

Jyqft

Thanks, Steven. That was quite quick.

Would it be too much to ask for:
1. Doing the same for the 4th column (assimilate the Album and Album [Year] categories with the rest, and reflect this in 1st to 3rd columns)
2. Adjustable columns (some columns, say, Rating, take so little space, other columns could have it instead)
3. As the topic creator said, an arbitrary but reasonable number of columns

I'd have to say, it's quite impressive how MusicBee doesn't feel so bloated despite a lot of features being added.