Author Topic: Lost my library...  (Read 10862 times)

simonw

Ok, two drives c: and d: both with windows installed on then. Music is in a folder d:\music (as the drive is bigger)
Everything is working great with musicbee on my c: drive pointing at the d:\music folders with the library mbl file sitting in c:\users\my music...

I then booted into the d: drive (where I also have musicbee installed) and chose the library off the other drive. No music files show up. I then boot back into the c: drive and also now, no music files show up either.

Using the latest beta, and using remap dialog, I'm not sure what folder I should be selecting (c:\users... or d:\music) but neither is giving me any library data anymore.

Have I messed up my library mbl file beyond recovery ? Is there anything I can do ? Please help

Update: Even the Remap dialog is no longer showing up now...agghhh

Simon
Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:56:58 PM by simonw

Steven

• Administrator
as a guess the path to the music files is different if you boot up from the c: drive vs. booting from the d: drive.
If you were using the same musicbee library file then when booting from the d: drive the files would not exist at the expected location and hence be flagged as dead links. If you have the option to automatically remove dead links (set in the library preferences) then the file links would be removed from the library.
If this is the case you would only be able to recover from a backup of the library you may have made. MB keeps one backup copy automatically (MusicBeeLibrary.bak in the root folder of the music library folder) but if you changed anything on the subsequent restarts then that would be overwritten with the latest empty library.
If all the above is true and you have no backup then you will need to recreate the library by rescanning the files into it.

simonw

Oh dear.
I really like to sort by date added. Now they'll all be the same ...  :(

update 1:
Just checked and I don't have the dead link removal checked. Does this help in any way. Is the library an ini file change away from recovery?!

update 2:
If I open the mbl file in notepad (!) all the file paths correctly point to d:\music. Surely there must be something that I can do?
Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:29:06 PM by simonw

Steven

• Administrator
make sure you keep a copy of that file.
the most obvious thing is do you have that library selected. You can check by starting MB holding the shift key down which will show a dialog with all the libraries MB knows about and their file paths. If the first item in the list is not the one you expect then select the correct one.
If you are sure you have the correct library selected, can you clarify - are you saying that no files appear in the main panel?
if so, upload a zip of the .mbl file and PM me a link and let me know the root folder path where the music files reside

euanek

I think this is the problem I'm having, too.

If I open my mbl file in notepad, all the file paths correctly point to my K drive where the files are, but on opening musicbee i get a long list of these:

6/20/2016 2:24:10 PM - startup monitored folder:: dead file link removed: K:\Lenovo T420\Music\Music Library\Art Tatum\1949-1953 {Chronological Classics, 1411}\16 Elegie.mp3

But the files are all in that location! I also sort by date added, and my playlists (which all open correctly, but without any files in them!) are very very important to me. Surely there must be something that I can do to keep those two things? For the future, im going to set up autotagging to write the date added information into the file's tags, but I don't want to lose all my past information if possible.

redwing

So do you have a copy of the mbl file and reproduce the step?

Then try this:
Open MusicBeeLibrarySettings.ini file in your library folder with a text editor.
Find:
<OrganisationMonitoringCheckStatus>true</OrganisationMonitoringCheckStatus>
Change the value to false.

Then relaunch MB and see if those dead links stay and you can use remap music folders command.

euanek

the value was already false, so i launched and tried remap folders, which completed immediately and didn't do anything...

redwing

the value was already false

Then find this:

<OrganisationMonitoredFolders>

and delete up to
</OrganisationMonitoredFolders>

euanek

that setting syntax doesn't exist in the file...

redwing

Then I don't understand this part:

on opening musicbee i get a long list of these:

6/20/2016 2:24:10 PM - startup monitored folder:: dead file link removed: K:\Lenovo T420\Music\Music Library\Art Tatum\1949-1953 {Chronological Classics, 1411}\16 Elegie.mp3

If you have no monitored folders and disabled check missing files setting, why does MB scan and remove dead links at startup?

euanek

i have no idea, i've just reproduced the error. this is what i get:

Musicbee Startup Error
Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.;

And a huge error log which im trying to copy to pastebin now but is taking a while...

euanek

okay since pastebin's not playing nice, ive copied the error log to my public dropbox, find it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpde518f9e9xz2t/ErrorLog.dat?dl=0

redwing

Can you post a screenshot of your current library settings (Preferences> Library)?

redwing

And just to be clear, if you open MB, then you get the dead links removed message box and your library is completely empty and playlists show only titles without any tracks in them. Is that what you're saying?