Author Topic: Deleted Files/Folders Still Showing in Library  (Read 6667 times)

musicmafia

it seems that when I delete files or entire album folders directly from my music drive, they still appear in my MB library. When I click on the file it says "source file cannot be found". I have my settings at "check for updated files" and "remove dead links" and am set to continuously monitor the music drive folders. I rebooted MB and still there. I cant figure it out...any help?

redwing

Try File> Rescan Files command with "remove dead links" and "re-scan files already in library" options ticked.

musicmafia

thx redwing, seems to have worked...will I need to do this manually each time I delete files from the drive?

redwing

When you're deleting MB monitored files and folders, try to do that with MB. Then such discrepancies won't occur.

psychonaut25

I tried checking all of those options, and I am still having the same problem.

Steven

• Administrator
i have made some changes in v2.5 that might help. You need to tick "check for updated and missing files" in the Library preferences for musicbee to automatically check for missing files. MB now prompts for the removal of the dead links. Its also included in the "Scan Folders for New Files" function

unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

psychonaut25

I did the update and crack, still having the same problem.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Are the missing files on a drive that MB can access?
Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:11:24 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychonaut25

I've noticed something.  When I go to Tools -> Tagging Tools, nothing seems to work.  "Show files with missing ____" doesn't work, regardless of which attribute is missing.  Missing tags, missing album art, dead links... all yield zero results despite the fact that my library does contain all of those types of files/links.

psychonaut25

Are the missing files on  a drive that MB can access?

Nope.  The missing files no longer exist in their original location; they've been moved to a new HD.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Nope.  The missing files no longer exist in their original location; they've been moved to a new HD.

Then that's why MusicBee doesn't catch them.  It will ignore files on drives (actually drive letters) that are no longer available, because sometimes those are removable drives (or MB itself is on a removable drive) and will be available again when the drive is reconnected.

At least that's what I understand; I've been confused about a few things lately.  I trust Steven will let us know if I'm wrong.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychonaut25

Then that's why MusicBee doesn't catch them.  It will ignore files on drives (actually drive letters) that are no longer available, because sometimes those are removable drives (or MB itself is on a removable drive) and will be available again when the drive is reconnected.

At least that's what I understand; I've been confused about a few things lately.  I trust Steven will let us know if I'm wrong.  :)

The driver letter is still the same.  The original files were on drive B:, and drive B: still exists and it still called drive B.  They files, however, are now on drive A.

They wouldn't be dead links if they still existed in the original location...

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
The driver letter is still the same.  The original files were on drive B:, and drive B: still exists and it still called drive B.  They files, however, are now on drive A.

They wouldn't be dead links if they still existed in the original location...

As I have said before...
I decided to change the drive letter of my data drive from 'D:' to 'A:'.

This is never a good idea.  Despite floppy disks being a thing of the past, Windows still has issues when assigning the A: and B: drives originally set aside for them.

File indexing does not happen on these drives by default ( in fact, it only became an option to even turn it on for these drives in Windows 8 ) so you will always have troubles when assigning drives to these letters.  This is a Windows issue, not a MusicBee problem.

Maybe Windows 10 will fix this.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychonaut25

As I have said before...
I decided to change the drive letter of my data drive from 'D:' to 'A:'.

This is never a good idea.  Despite floppy disks being a thing of the past, Windows still has issues when assigning the A: and B: drives originally set aside for them.

File indexing does not happen on these drives by default ( in fact, it only became an option to even turn it on for these drives in Windows 8 ) so you will always have troubles when assigning drives to these letters.  This is a Windows issue, not a MusicBee problem.

Maybe Windows 10 will fix this.

Hey, you are a genius!  Drive B: works fine, it's drive A: that is the problem.  I switched the letters of B: and A: (so now all of my music files are on B:, as they were originally) and the tagging tools work again!  Thanks