Author Topic: Better EQ  (Read 40171 times)

keanex

I would rather not use another program to EQ my music and MusicBee's current EQ is too general to be useful to "audiophiles." If possible could there be a more intricate EQ in the future? Perhaps 15 bands to start?

jistme

It can be argued if 'audiophiles' use equalizers, but that is another discussion...

I think MusicBee's default eq. is apropriate and will suit the majority of users very well. 
An option for a few more bands I agree could be nice however. 

You can also try some equalizer plugins for Winamp.
(eg. http://www.winamp.com/plugin/shibatch-equalizer-plugin/4591)

Install and extract to MB plugins folder, 18 bands and parametric.
(I just found this one, there will probably be some more)

I would rather not use another program to EQ my music and MusicBee's current EQ is too general to be useful to "audiophiles." If possible could there be a more intricate EQ in the future? Perhaps 15 bands to start?

keanex

Many audio enthusiasts indeed do use software EQ because no headphone is 100% perfect. The problem most people run in-to when EQing is distortion, but that is because many people raise the sliders over 0dB. EQ should never be used to raise a frequency, rather it should be used to lower frequencies. My headphones, the Audio Technica Ad2000, have a hump at 4k, and while Musicbee allows me to fix this slightly, it also touches other frequencies near it which I don't want. Ideally a nice parametric EQ would be ideal, but I wouldn't mind a few more options.

Edit: Thanks for the plug-in though, I'll try it out.

jistme

I now see you're not the first on this topic:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5410.0

Another possible road to choose would be to try VST plugins. There are more than plenty of those, up to extremely professional versions.
That will be more of a challenge though, I believe you then need something like a Winamp VST wrapper first.

Good luck with exploring, and it would be nice if you could report on your findings. It will surely be of good use to other foobar switchers ;-)

Steven

• Administrator
i've enabled the ability to configure and save a 15-band equaliser in the equaliser window dialog
also i have tweaked the 10-band equaliser so the bands internally overlap a bit to account for "roll-off" at the edges of each band - i would be keen for someone who makes use of the equaliser a lot to use it and comment.
Anyone interested let me know if you would like to try it out it otherwise it will be in the next update

Steven

• Administrator

Alexis

Thank you for this enhancement... Truly appreciated.. I  am still messing around with it and will let you know when i can make a bit more noise while testing it :)
They are not lazy... just more efficient.

Steven

• Administrator
it would also be useful to know if you get any unwanted side-effects when 32 bit output is enabled in the player preferences.
A couple of people some time ago reported a subtle unwanted sound being added

Alexis

OK, will do.  Please allow like 10 hours (Going to bed in a while) or  so, and I will try to have proper feedback if no one else gets at it first.

VX

A gave it a breeze test and found one Easter egg  ;D I can't call it bug nor feature, so Easter egg as a term for a hidden and unexpected behaviour seems pretty right.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open EQ in MB 2.0.4576;
2. Find '(.) 10-band' on the EQ window and right-click onto it;
Result:
The EQ window shrinks by 30%, so you could click three times to make it hidden (almost, the thin bar remains) ;D

Otherwise, the EQ is great for me. Thanks for the improvement  :)

Steven

• Administrator

Alexis

The EQ works perfectly for me.  This is really very nice.

Additionally:
....The problem most people run in-to when EQing is distortion, but that is because many people raise the sliders over 0dB. EQ should never be used to raise a frequency, rather it should be used to lower frequencies. ............

Keanex:
Priceless tip.  Never knew that and it is now a very valuable tip, and that is what I am using at the moment.  WOW.   
May I suggest you make a topic regarding using an EQ?  Even if this is all that there is. 
I always had distortions in some songs that I would have to adjust something for, but there is none whatsoever in ANY track I have tried staying at or below Zero.  My music simply sounds Better!  I raised the preamp to compensate though.

Speakers:  Logitech Z2300

keanex

The EQ works perfectly for me.  This is really very nice.

Additionally:
....The problem most people run in-to when EQing is distortion, but that is because many people raise the sliders over 0dB. EQ should never be used to raise a frequency, rather it should be used to lower frequencies. ............

Keanex:
Priceless tip.  Never knew that and it is now a very valuable tip, and that is what I am using at the moment.  WOW.  
May I suggest you make a topic regarding using an EQ?  Even if this is all that there is.  
I always had distortions in some songs that I would have to adjust something for, but there is none whatsoever in ANY track I have tried staying at or below Zero.  My music simply sounds Better!  I raised the preamp to compensate though.

Speakers:  Logitech Z2300

Thanks very much, I'm glad I was able to help. I just learned this not too long ago. Unfortunately though I don't know much more on the issue, but please spread the word!

Also you devs are the best! I checked out the EQ and it's definitely a step above what was there before. If possible the mid-range should be filled out a tad more to include 4k and 6k, but I'm just nitpicking. Thanks for being quick with updates and being awesome!
Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:19:27 PM by keanex

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
The 15 band eq and the tip from keanex have greatly improved the sound from my outdoor garden speakers. Thanks heaps guys!
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

HHM

@Keanex:
do you have any of your own EQ settings to share? I'd really like to see how things should be set up, as most things I do is increasing basss & trebles...:)