Author Topic: Remove the embedded web browser  (Read 11757 times)

mikebo

I wanted to do a poll but don't see an option for it.

The question is: Do you use the embedded web browser? Is it necessary?

I personally never use it. I have my browser of choice set up the way i like it and using anything else i find frustrating and i'm shure i'm not the only one who feels this way.
I don't think that opening artist information and other links in the default browser is a problem, as I bet most of you keep your browser open most of the time.
I think MusicBee should stick to playing and managing your music library and improving in that regard rather than add some superfluous features.
I feel the same about video playback, but since this is a optional plugin i can't complain.

What do you think?

beeing good

I don't use it as a browser but I do sometimes use the artist panel for Flickr and occasionally wiki. I don't see any harm in it as it is already implemented.

beehive

mikebo

I knew this would be controversial :)
Really useful and handy for me.
Can you elaborate on that? What makes it so much better that opening websites in default browser?

lnminente

I also prefer using my customized browser with my addons when possible. In some links we can right click and choose "Show in default browser", but could be nice an option for choosing it by default

The "gecko plugin" might be needed for downloading lyrics and covers

Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:33:57 PM by lnminente

Steven

• Administrator
I personally never use it. I have my browser of choice set up the way i like it and using anything else i find frustrating and i'm shure i'm not the only one who feels this way.
you do you find it frustrating?
you can remove all the internet nodes either by deleting them or by removing the internet main node in the layout preferences, and nothing gets loaded for the web browser unless you use it so it has zero impact on performance or memory if not used.
The only negative i can think of is it makes the musicbee download size larger

edit:
i should add i never expected it would replace your main browser and would infact recommend not to - its just for causal browsing of mp3 blogs, wikipedia artist info (or other web-info searchs relevant to the playing song)
Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:19:44 PM by Steven

Alexis

I do not use it simply because I cannot customize it....such as deleting cookies etc on exit. I hate the idea of random sites having cookies on my pc, so I use Firefox and designate the sites that can.  All other cookies are deleted on exit.    But personally, I see no harm in having it because I feel it is not in my way at all.
They are not lazy... just more efficient.

mikebo

you do you find it frustrating?
you can remove all the internet nodes either by deleting them or by removing the internet main node in the layout preferences, and nothing gets loaded for the web browser unless you use it so it has zero impact on performance or memory if not used.
The only negative i can think of is it makes the musicbee download size larger

edit:
i should add i never expected it would replace your main browser and would infact recommend not to - its just for causal browsing of mp3 blogs, wikipedia artist info (or other web-info searchs relevant to the playing song)

I honestly cant do much casual browsing with it because every time i try to navigate back i get this error
Code
MusicBee v2.0.4551.28282 (Win6.1), 18 Jun 2012 20:25:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=qFoTWnPPvHPTTEc4LEoKV$FVSSV3e9d6uK76Ph1n1Na8=.#=qZzokdVaIdroV0T9DNZbxvg==(#=qgQgzVLaDK7wkXiwtLAJbYQgYx6fNmWAwh2oduTLbnyFtwVfumjDUN5Sltc8lcA4f #=q08BcKQqHBD0ytxHXzDDYNw==, #=qoID3NDqFE8VTesIIM67apUgR4ZbhimGePynQOteokkM= #=qy4sOr9zNd4nrDeiulecdSA==)
   at #=qFoTWnPPvHPTTEc4LEoKV$FVSSV3e9d6uK76Ph1n1Na8=.#=qS0M1ZkSU19gFU7A_FDNVvw==(Boolean #=qJ0I1wLfdBowNxt4JbaXWqg==)
   at #=qFoTWnPPvHPTTEc4LEoKV$FVSSV3e9d6uK76Ph1n1Na8=.#=qJ0skrS1lqjS82VQpxDMrfir8qBkgeB0EkxwLOkN3JEg=(Object #=qgj_2Vmd0b987k14ccNFB8A==, #=qLxryLYvWyxxPNDhfYzq32THBHx2Pjx6fQrhIajUXnDKsoksu4jMA4f6PUF9LD$Oe #=qLrHtgKkbJMuJgJ5yWC4jhQ==)
   at #=qwYyBs275aZLrcLK8GBWgiWqMOG6XJpdahPEFc$erDbTY0u49aXiecrKIx_$HPooL.OnClick(EventArgs #=qoAz95QKSZnRpO3jFmzUSVg==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Edit: I guess i just dont see to point of it. What problem does it solve?
If you want to keep it can you please add a setting to use the default browser for opening any links in MusicBee?

Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:34:55 PM by mikebo

Thorbjorn

I had the same thoughts when I started using MusicBee. I didn't see the point of the browser, but now I like it. Have all my music sites/blogs in here now. Gathering all my music stuff in one place is sweet I think. Getting artist info etc. and the auto-download of mp3's is great.

So, I didn't like it in the start, now I do :)

Steven

• Administrator
Edit: I guess i just dont see to point of it. What problem does it solve?
If you want to keep it can you please add a setting to use the default browser for opening any links in MusicBee?
it keeps the artist and track information in sync when you have the track and artist panel enabled, which couldnt (easily) be acheived using any default external browser. It analyses MP3 blogs and produces a playlist based on the music files referenced in the blog.
And people find it useful to have the browser in the same app without having to switch windows.
If you want to have the error you are getting solved let me know and i will create a debug version as i dont know why you are getting the error

Steven

• Administrator
actually i figured out the bug - if you have the Internet node hidden then opening a web link in the location bar
that has been fixed now:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

mikebo

Thanks for the quick fix Steven. Will you consider adding a setting that would let people use their default browser? Now i have to right click on links and choose 'Show in Default Browser'.

HHM

+1 for option of making one's own browser default

(...) Gathering all my music stuff in one place is sweet I think. Getting artist info etc. and the auto-download of mp3's is great.

This one sounds interesting. How to make MB's browser auto-download mp3's?

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I've not used it much. The lack of adblock plus support put me off. I never realised last.fm was so add ridden :o
I have no objection to it being there though. I'm sure folks do use it and as Steven said the only downside is that MB install file is a wee bit larger. Hardly worth kicking off about imo
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

tompeto

+1 for option of making one's own browser default