Author Topic: LOCKED TABS - new behavior  (Read 9916 times)

HHM

In MB, when tab is locked, the whole left navigator panel is blocked as well (and faded) - so that I cannot drag&drop items to other playlist. Also - which is quite logical - cannot go to any other playlist from the locked tab - it only requires opening a new tab.

But I would suggest a new behavior:
1. For me it would be perfect if the left navigator panel wasn't blocked&faded. It would allow drag&dropping and easier managing of my library.
2. Moreover, clicking on any other playlist would open it BUT in a NEW TAB (automaticly), so that the blocked tab would stay "untouched".
So while in locked tab, clicking on any other playlist would work like "open in a new tab" in web browsers.

I believe this change would make tabs more functional. What do you think?
Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:46:30 PM by HHM

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I like it as it is. That's the point of a locked tab for me. I can have a library tab and a now playing tab open & locked and that makes it easy for the missus or whoever to use MB and limits what they can mess about with accidentally
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

beeing good

I'm not sure about this.
For 1) you can just use right click and Send To.
For 2) I can see the logic behind it and it seems sensible but again, I'm not sure if it is needed, isn't it easy enough to just open a new tab and click on the node you want?

lnminente

Another perspective more about locking tabs:
+1 for protecting from closing. But currently is missing the protection when middle clicking in tabs, which is my way of closing tabs.
-1 for locking the location. I think is mostly used for keeping "Now playing" and could be better a faster way to switch to that list instead

(And speaking about tabs, would be nice if middle click would be reserved to open in a new tab to be consistent with other programs with tabs)
Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:07:32 PM by lnminente

HHM

I'm not sure about this.
For 2) I can see the logic behind it and it seems sensible but again, I'm not sure if it is needed, isn't it easy enough to just open a new tab and click on the node you want?

1. of course - but it takes much more clicking than dragging to a tab/playlist I want to send file to!

2. again - it takes not only 2 clicks instead of 1, but also when you open a new tab, the default view that loads in it is "Music" (collection). as my collection is big (ca. 90 000 songs), it takes a few seconds to 'load' it and only then I can pick a playlist I need for that new tab.

Fe. when I'm in (let's say) "Inbox" locked tab and need to go to "new good shit", I need to open a new tab, wait a while for music collection to load in this tab and then choose the playlist I need from the left navigation panel.
Moves = 2, Time = a few seconds

With my idea it goes like this:
I'm in "Inbox" locked tab and need to go to "new good shit", so the only thing I need is clicking on the "new good shit" in the left panel. Locked tab is still opened, you don't have any more mess than with the old method. AND:
Moves = 1, Time = instant!!

So my changes are about economy of clicking - I think the less clocks/moves you need to do sth, the better. Ergonomics is good.
As Charlie Sheen once said "What's not to love?" 8)

I like it as it is. That's the point of a locked tab for me. I can have a library tab and a now playing tab open & locked and that makes it easy for the missus or whoever to use MB and limits what they can mess about with accidentally
But - with my method - it doesn't create more mess. The new tab opened wouldn't be locked one on deafult, so as long as you stay in the unlocked state, clicking on other playlists wouldn't create any new. The scary multiplication of new tabs into infinity wouldn't take place ;D

HHM

For me the whole notion of locking tabs is not to keep the pedantic state of having only 2 chosen tabs opened and keep it clean, but to prevent chosen (locked) tabs from accidental closing.

Nevertheless implementing my method wouldn't change anything (as I tried to explain in the previous post) for those who like to have it in order and "under control".
But it gives much more ease for those who want to use tabs functionality in a more "web browser way".

HHM

I'm not sure about this.

it's right click+3mousemoves= 4 moves vs single drag&drop (which make at most 2 moves if you count it)

another option (I love to discuss with myself:)):
the behavior could stay as it is (with left nav. panel faded & unclickable) BUT a regular activities could be available with CTRL pressed (so you cannot open a new tab from the locked tab unless you press ctrl)

Steven

• Administrator
i have changed it so the following settings can be applied to tabs
- Locked   which now means the tab cannot be closed (except by using right click on the tab header/ Close)
- Left Navigator: (a) Active; (b) Hidden; or (c) Disabled

lnminente

Working very well! Appreciate these changes Steven :)

HHM

Great!
Thank you for that, Steven, you rule!

Zak

• Global Moderator
One of my few remaining MB annoyances is that if I have a locked tab showing my Media Library and double-click a file in Windows Explorer, that locked Library tab will still become a Now Playing tab, even if I already have another Now Playing tab open!.

So my thread-related request is that opening a file via Explorer will reuse any existing Now Playing tab instead of just hijacking whichever happens to be the currently displayed tab.
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
i have changed it so an existing Now Playing list tab will be re-used and if none, a new tab opened

Zak

• Global Moderator
Awesome awesome awesome! Thank you!
Bee excellent to each other...

Sigma

i have changed it so an existing Now Playing list tab will be re-used and if none, a new tab opened

Could this be made an optional setting please?

In the latest beta, when I double-click on a song that isn't in my library, MusicBee opens, then opens a new tab and plays the song. If MusicBee is already open, if I double-click on a song that isn't in my library, it opens a new tab and then plays it.

I prefer the old behaviour of it not opening a new tab, so it just plays the song. I don't use tabs at all, so I'd rather it not do this. If you can add a setting to toggle it on/off, cool.